Heartbleed bug

An Internet bug called Heartbleed has compromised the majority of the secure servers of the Internet using OpenSSL, potentially exposing millions of users private data from email servers, bank servers, almost any service using this widely used system.

The bug has affected many popular websites and services — ones you might use every day, like Gmail and Facebook — and could have quietly exposed your sensitive account information (such as passwords and credit card numbers) over the past two years.

How it works:

Client: Hi, I want to login! My info is "username" and "password".
Server: Ok, you're logged in!
Client: I want to make sure you're still there. I'm going to count down from ten, can you repeat it to me? 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.
Server: Ok, that's 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.
Client: Great!

That's how the heartbeat works. With Heartbleed in effect:

Client: Hi, I want to login! My info is "username" and "password".
Server: Ok, you're logged in!
Attacker: I want to make sure you're still there. I'm going to count down from ten, can you repeat it to me? 10.
Server: Okay, that's 10,username,password.

Because the server never verifies that the client or attacker has sent what they said they would, it just rattles off the requested amount of memory. For a client, this is what they wanted. But an attacker can send much less than they say, getting plaintext info like keys, login info, session cookies and the like.

Here is a list of some sites that were affected click here

It is always a good practice to change your passwords every few months. Also never use the same password for other services that hold private information, such has banking.

This is just a recommendation: Change your passwords for any services that store sensitive data, just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

James

Staff member
DBA isn't secured (SSL) to begin with so nothing is/was effected here.

BTW this exploit/bug has been in the OpenSSL software for years...

Here's (IMO) a better diagram on how it works.

heartbleed_explanation.png

Interestingly the websites affected are Googlemail, Yahoomail, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, etc

Banks largely all safe... Amazon safe... Ebay safe... etc... as someone who couldn't care less about social media I won't be affected by this.

Q: Which websites have been impacted by the bug?

A: A list of websites that were affected by the bug, according to Mashable, includes popular social media sites like Instagram and Pinterest, as well as email clients like Gmail and Yahoo! Mail. Mashable is also urging users of websites such as Facebook, Tumblr, and GoDaddy to change their passwords to play it safe.

Qualys SSL Labs has created an online tool that lets visitors type in the names of websites to assess their vulnerability to the bug.

And there are also applications on the Google Play store -- like Heartbleed Detector and Bluebox Heartbleed Scanner – that analyze your phone to determine if your device is running a version of OpenSSL that is vulnerable to the bug, DigitalTrends reports.

Last edited: