250F Hanging clutch/locking tranny

Picked up a '01 WR250 with a broken kick shaft.
Put in a new one a couple weeks ago.
Yesterday my son said the clutch will sometimes hold past the normal point, then release all at once.
Also said the back tire locked up twice but the engine kept running.
I reused the same clutch and springs because they looked like they were in good condition.
I don't remember the setting, but torqued the clutch to specs.
We used it last week with no issues.
Anyone ever see this?

Also, he was wearing brand new Alpinestar Tech 3 boots, so was having trouble shifting. I'm pretty sure he accidentally downshifted at least once, but that still doesn't account for the clutch issue.

Picked up a '01 WR250 with a broken kick shaft.
Put in a new one a couple weeks ago.
Yesterday my son said the clutch will sometimes hold past the normal point, then release all at once.
Also said the back tire locked up twice but the engine kept running.
I reused the same clutch and springs because they looked like they were in good condition.
I don't remember the setting, but torqued the clutch to specs.
We used it last week with no issues.
Anyone ever see this?

Also, he was wearing brand new Alpinestar Tech 3 boots, so was having trouble shifting. I'm pretty sure he accidentally downshifted at least once, but that still doesn't account for the clutch issue.

Sounds like you need to ride it and diagnose it before diving in.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I would adjust the clutch. Check the cable for proper routing, and check the cable for wear. Sometimes a cable will bind and let go all at once, giving you strange clutch issues.
As far as the rear wheel locking but the engine not dying, sounds like a stuck clutch cable.
Sometimes you can just clean and relube them, sometimes they MUST be replaced.
Be sure to check the lead anchor where they meet the cable, the cable can fray inside the lead anchor, under pressure.

Just some ideas to try, as the cable is typically pretty cheap and ADJUSTMENT is where i find 99% of clutch issues. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Big thanks to Big Dan and jo, had a major DOH! moment... I put a tusk lighting kit on the bike last week and did a couple mods for a cleaner install and so the bike's system will keep it charged. Used the front turns built into hand guards and ground them down to fit over the acerbis. After reading your response I checked and they guards were interfering with the lever throw. I remembered he was learning power slides and washed out a few times.
Going to get the tabs tomorrow so I'll be able to ride around locally to diagnose.

Thanks for your responses, it really helps to bounce these things around before busting knuckles.