Granny's chafed skin remedy

This is a homemade remedy my grams taught me a while back that is just an awesome way to heal up any rash or a chafed area. I just remembered it because I had to heal up some not to long ago. I tried body powder, ointment, all the stuff that should work with no effect. This works great.

Items needed:

Bowl
Rag
Fan
Water
Oatmeal
Petroleum Jelly

Prepare these steps before you go to bed.

Step 1:
Get some oat meal, 1-2 cups should do, and place in a medium (larger than cereal bowl) sized bowl. Fill bowl with water and let sit for an hour or two, or until water is murky and oat meal is soft. No need to stir.

Step 2:
Set up a fan near your bed where it can blow on the affected area.

Step 3:
After the Oatmeal has soaked in the water soak the rag in the mixture. Apply gently to affected area. Do this until the area is completely covered or until the bowl is empty of water.

Step 4:
Depending on where the chafing is, alright lets face it we all know where it is :smirk:, you may need to sleep in your birthday suit. Without any cover allow the fan to blow on the area for a good hour. If you fall asleep with the fan on don't worry about it. the drying skin will itch but do not scratch it. You will have to sleep the remainder of the night in the nude, but you can use blankets after the fan is done.

Step 5:
In the morning go about your normal routine. After a shower, dry the area well. apply petroleum jelly in a thick layer, this hydrates the skin without making it wet and keeps the sweat glands from well sweating.

Step 6:
Repeat steps 1-5 until the chafing or rash is gone. It should only take up to 2 applications for it to work, but depending on the severity it may take more.

Step 7:
Petroleum Jelly will be your best friend if it is used often enough. It prevents the chafing from ever happening. Use it religiously if you have bad chafing.

This is a great way to take care of unwanted skin rashes.

A preventative measure... Buy a pair of these. They eliminate most causes of monkey butt. This next part ain't that pretty, but it's effective. If you really have a chaffing issue, pull the shorts up into your ass crack like a thong. Not very manly sounding but I've had to do it in a few of the longer races I've been in and it stops all the chaffing.

UAMCSH-BK-1.jpg

I've used those powders before.

They're either baking powder based, or talc powder based. The talc powder ones work the best, but in a long sweaty race/ride, you'll sweat the powder away... and get monkey butt. Plus the added indignity of taking a handfull of that powder pre-race and trying to pack it into your ass crack is not ideal :P

I've used those powders before.

They're either baking powder based, or talc powder based. The talc powder ones work the best, but in a long sweaty race/ride, you'll sweat the powder away... and get monkey butt. Plus the added indignity of taking a handfull of that powder pre-race and trying to pack it into your ass crack is not ideal :P

I agree, its good stuff for the first few hours, but it can only handle so much sweat before it becomes useless.