Gearing , again

My drz 125 has 14 " rear tire , 15 front 51. Rear prockets. Perfect for me , also have drz 125L 16" rear tire , 14 front 51. rear sprockets . Gear seems too low , I'm thinking about changing front to 15 or 16 tooth . I'm 5'5" 160 # how does larger tire figure in ??? Lost in thought again !!

Unless I am incorrect, I think the bike maker changed the internal gears to alter the overall final drive ratio due to the different tire sizes. I would suggest the 15 as it will change the final drive gear a bit to the higher side were as the 16 will just kill the performance too much.
You will be going from a 3.64 : 1 ratio to a 3.4 : 1 ratio with the 15. (7%)
You would be going to a 3.18 : 1 with the 16. (14%)

Paw Paw

On the smaller tire bike I went to a 15 front and got perfect .. this will be the same gearing as the other bike , but with a taller tire . What is going to happen now ?? More top end ?? Lower gears are not needed , not climbing mountains .

The drz125 small tire. 14" I have will shxt and git it . 15 front 51 rear. Sprockets. .... trans gears are the same as the 16 " tire bike . Only difference is the tires .. if I run the same sprockets the bike should perform almost as well but with higher top end speed . I think ! Thats why I am considering 16 tooth front .. seem right ????

just bought an 06 DRZ125L (big wheel) for my young bloke, the gearing is way too tall, my first thought to increase the front sprocket, i believe the standard mix is 14/57 (4.07:1), I haven't checked the front but def 57 on the rear, I have ordered a 16 front to give me a final drive ratio of 3.4:1, hopefully it doesn't affect performance too much, I will let you know how that goes. I know the small wheel version runs 16/51 (3.18:1) but I guess that is required due to the smaller dia of the wheels!

just bought an 06 DRZ125L (big wh. l) for my young bloke, the gearing is way too tall, my first thought to increase the front sprocket, i believe the standard mix is 14/57 (4.07:1), I haven't checked the front but def 57 on the rear, I have ordered a 16 front to give me a final drive ratio of 3.4:1, hopefully it doesn't affect performance too much, I will let you know how that goes. I know the small wheel version runs 16/51 (3.18:1) but I guess that is required due

Due to the lack of rear sprockets. 51. Or 57. I went with. 15. 51. Works well for me. 5'5" 160# same as drz small tire. Smaller bike has been bored and has bigger carb , will beat 125L any day ...