Gas smell in oil ?

I changed my son's fluids today and definitely noticed the smell of gas in the engine oil. CRF 250 R if it makes a dif. (2010) anyone know what might cause this? Thanks in advance. :thumb:

Not turning the fuel off at the petcock valve can do that. What happens is the fuel expands and contracts with the air temp. If the petcock valve is open and the fuel heats up it is forced up through the carb and makes its way into the cylinder. Depending on where the cylinder is at in the cylinder that fuel could easily make its way into the oil.

I changed my son's fluids today and definitely noticed the smell of gas in the engine oil. CRF 250 R if it makes a dif. (2010) anyone know what might cause this? Thanks in advance. :thumb:

Maybe it wants to be a 2 stroke... :noidea:

How old is the topend? rings?...
also I had this problem once on my Honda Generator.... crankcase was vented into the carb and it would draw excess fuel into the crankcase...

My guess would be running rich... Or Maybe a leaky float valve ... I would check to be sure the vent tubes on the carb are not plugged:prof: