Gallup National Off Road Challenge Race Report

This is the first round of the 3 race NMORS series and it occurs right in my hometown, its a 2 day 2 race event, the first day is a motocross race and the 2nd day is a off road course which uses runs through the mx track, typical desert racing conditions, twisty single track, and a endurocross section.
I had never raced a true mx event, having done only arenacross and desert racing in the past so I figured I'd give the novice class a go, complete with desert tank.

Day 1 (MX): Racing novice on the bike I've built almost exclusively for desert racing... the gate drops, not too hot, about mid pack, the race format is 20 minutes+2 laps, anyway, I'm mid pack at the start, I take into account that 20 minutes is a long time to pound out laps on a motocross track in just under 90* heat so I pace myself like I usually do for desert races, I gradually move up through the pack, pass 2 bikes at once by squaring a turn and launching into the inside line on the next, I race around for a while, and come up on 2nd and 3rd, which 3rd place is forced to pull off due to exhaustion, so now its me and this 2010 yz250f dead ahead, I'm running behind him, pull up on him, I have the speed to pass him, just not enough to do it cleanly in any of the turns, and well, I don't take people out, just not who I am. At this point I get to thinking of what I'd been recently talking to Mihylo33 about with blitzing whoops, which is a weak point in my riding, and I remember talking about launching into them staying neutral, and letting the bike float through them, well, we come to the only whoops section on the course and I decided that this is the only way I'm going to get passed him, I take the far outside line in the turn, 3rd gear pinned, and just relax (without a doubt the craziest feeling ever, over riding that fear) and stay on the throttle and just lightly tap each one with the front tire while staying on the gas, the yz had taken the inside line like I had, and about halfway through the whoops we're side by side, but I beat him towards the end, upshift to 4th, rail a berm, hit the big table top, and clock out. I never caught 1st, alot of guys were complaining that he was usually a b rider and dropped down to C just because of a 100 dollar reward for 1st. oh well, I'm fully content, this is the best finish I've ever gotten while racing :)
tomorrow, I will be racing amateur in the off road event, 75 miles await me.