RM250 Flooded 2 stroke

I took my 83 suzuki rm250 out riding today, bike was running great all day then i layed it over about 30 feet from my truck. I hit the killswitch, picked my bike up and pushed it over to my truck. I sat around for about 20-30 minutes. I hopped back on and it fired up 1st kick. During that time it ran awesome. (This is where i get confused) my buddy was stopped on a little hill, a hill that wasn't more than 5ft tall with the slightest incline. When i reached the top of the hill my bike dies. I looked down there was gas pouring out of the overflow tube. So i turned the gas off and tried bump starting it with no luck, tried bump starting it again with no luck. After about 5 minutes of sitting there i kicked it roughly 3 times. And it fired up. Took it back to my truck pulled the plug and it looked fine.. what could have caused it to flood like it did???

I took my 83 suzuki rm250 out riding today, bike was running great all day then i layed it over about 30 feet from my truck. I hit the killswitch, picked my bike up and pushed it over to my truck. I sat around for about 20-30 minutes. I hopped back on and it fired up 1st kick. During that time it ran awesome. (This is where i get confused) my buddy was stopped on a little hill, a hill that wasn't more than 5ft tall with the slightest incline. When i reached the top of the hill my bike dies. I looked down there was gas pouring out of the overflow tube. So i turned the gas off and tried bump starting it with no luck, tried bump starting it again with no luck. After about 5 minutes of sitting there i kicked it roughly 3 times. And it fired up. Took it back to my truck pulled the plug and it looked fine.. what could have caused it to flood like it did???

Dirty carb, stuck float, broken float needle, float needs to be set.

stuck float or one of the above mentioned. If it does it again hit the bowl of the carb with a wooden hammer handle or plastic handle of a large screwdriver. Hit it with a good, solid whack a few times and this will often unstick the float. If it keeps doing it then take it apart.

Thanks guys. I don't think it could be a dirty carb. I have a fuel filter that i just changed the day of the ride. I cleaned the carb out a few days prior

It doesn't need to be dirty to cause a stuck float, it just takes the wrong impact to knock it out while it's laid over and hey presto a stuck float, pull the carb, clean it thoroughly ( im not saying you didnt but its now kapoot )from the outside then inside and set the float and hey presto a running bike:banana: hopefully.....

Thanks guys. I don't think it could be a dirty carb. I have a fuel filter that i just changed the day of the ride. I cleaned the carb out a few days prior
lol, yeah, no way an 83 could need the float set. you could have flooded the bike while it was on the ground, leaving plenty of raw fuel in the lower cases. sometimes they start right up and as soon as you rev them high enough to stir up said fuel it reaches the combustion chamber and puts out the fire. Lots of us have picked them up off the ground and had it happen. you can also lose fuel and dry out one of the fuel passages that air locks. you end up lean in one spot and slobberingly rich in another throttle setting. once running again and riding it out, it is like it never happened.