85 Fixing Cracked Inner Clutch Cover

So last night i was rebuilding my bottom end with the Hot Rods bottom end kit and i was buttoning everything up at 2am having a grand'ol time. Moved on to installing the shift shaft and low and behold i forgot to make sure the washer underneath was seated correctly, i found this out by the "ping" noise my lovely clutch cover made. I suppose it was my engines way of telling me to get to sleep, who knows.

But anyways as you can see i now have a good 2 inche crack that goes right around and right through the gasket mating surface. I thought ok, price a new clutch cover, jb weld. Or ebay a used one. So i left it for the night and woke up in the morning and realized i still have a bunch of Aluminum Brazing rods kicking around. Pulled out the blow torch and Dremel, took out all my seals and went to work.

I think it turned out nicely and it was a very cheap fix compared to buying new ($150CAD OEM). I do plan on buying a new one eventually but for now im sure this will hold.

Attachments

• IMG_3830.JPG
    IMG_3830.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3832.JPG
    IMG_3832.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3833.JPG
    IMG_3833.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3837.JPG
    IMG_3837.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3841.JPG
    IMG_3841.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3843.JPG
    IMG_3843.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3869.JPG
    IMG_3869.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 8
looks good, make sure it is surfaced flat and use a NEW gasket and maybe some gasket type sealer, not silicon

When i purchased the Hot Rods bottom end rebuild kit i had actually ordered a seperate complete gasket kit so i did have a spare new one. I also purchased some more Grey MotoSeal liquid gasket for joining the case halves and used some directly on the clutch cover gasket surface (a tiny bit) just enough to adhere the new gasket to it and seal any inperfections before torquing to spec. While i was brazing i actually built up a hump on the gasket surface and filed it down little by little while checking it on a piece of glass with a feeler gage.