drilling holes in your tube?

i was watching Erzberg last night and the announcer lady was showing KTM's tent and said they run Moose tubes with holes drilled in them so they can get better grip, wouldn't that just be a flat tire :noidea:

i was watching Erzberg last night and the announcer lady was showing KTM's tent and said they run Moose tubes with holes drilled in them so they can get better grip, wouldn't that just be a flat tire :noidea:
Sure they were not talking about a "Bib Mousse" tube? I can see drilling holes in those as it would flex more for the terrain they are going over, but still hold up and not have to worry about flats. I use to run those when racing in Baja...

Sure they were not talking about a "Bib Mousse" tube? I can see drilling holes in those as it would flex more for the terrain they are going over, but still hold up and not have to worry about flats. I use to run those when racing in Baja...

That sounds logical... I was thinking the same thing meaning more flex!!! How are they to mount and any idea what they cost? :noidea:

i watched that too... it was the redbull signiture series. its not going to make it flat but will make the tube less stiff. same as letting some air out of a regular tube.

That sounds logical... I was thinking the same thing meaning more flex!!! How are they to mount and any idea what they cost? :noidea:
A bitch to mount and about $110 - $130 depending on where you buy. It like mounting a tire with the tube full of air.

A bitch to mount and about $110 - $130 depending on where you buy. It like mounting a tire with the tube full of air.

Beats having to change a flat out in the boonies though wouldn't it? :thinking: vI can think of a few less things to carry with me.... like A TUBE, spoons, etc...

Beats having to change a flat out in the boonies though wouldn't it? :thinking: vI can think of a few less things to carry with me.... like A TUBE, spoons, etc...
True, but they need to be replaced like anything else. Plus I would not recommend any hwy, high speeds with one of these. They heat up and cause havoc. When racing the 1000, they changed a section of the course on us and we ended up doing a 5 mile stretch of pavement that was supposed to be dirt. Since we were averaging over 60 the whole time on the pavement, the tube heated up and caught on fire. It destroyed the tire and since we were miles from the next pit, we rode it on the rim and until the rim gave out leaving us with a hub. So you can see we did not have the greatest experience with that setup.. But if I was to ride an event like Erzberg, I would mount them up again.

True, but they need to be replaced like anything else. Plus I would not recommend any hwy, high speeds with one of these. They heat up and cause havoc. When racing the 1000, they changed a section of the course on us and we ended up doing a 5 mile stretch of pavement that was supposed to be dirt. Since we were averaging over 60 the whole time on the pavement, the tube heated up and caught on fire. It destroyed the tire and since we were miles from the next pit, we rode it on the rim and until the rim gave out leaving us with a hub. So you can see we did not have the greatest experience with that setup.. But if I was to ride an event like Erzberg, I would mount them up again.

I don't plan on riding much (if any) highway... then again..... but if I'm doing only dirt I may consider investing. I'll have to sit and ponder this a while! :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Since you have experience with them would you care to share how you liked them? I am thinking about running them on mine but they have their limitations. A lot of guys now days just run them in the front. Because they only have a speed rating of 80 miles an hour or so.

I have heard mixed reviews. Some love them Some hate them. I would be interested to hear how you liked them.

Like I said before a lot of desert guys around here are using Bib mousse's but only in the front and running XTRA heavy duty tubes with slime in the back. Some guys also cut a tube and use it kind of like a liner inside the tire.I guess that is an old school desert trick.

I have a 250 so I could probably get away with a mousse in the front and rear.

i noticed they sell that lube for those solid tubes(lol waiting for whitty comment on that one).... did you guys have that in there?

Since you have experience with them would you care to share how you liked them? I am thinking about running them on mine but they have their limitations. A lot of guys now days just run them in the front. Because they only have a speed rating of 80 miles an hour or so.

I have heard mixed reviews. Some love them Some hate them. I would be interested to hear how you liked them.

Like I said before a lot of desert guys around here are using Bib mousse's but only in the front and running XTRA heavy duty tubes with slime in the back. Some guys also cut a tube and use it kind of like a liner inside the tire.I guess that is an old school desert trick.

This sounds like a good direction for me too... Mousse in the front and heavy duty tube and/or a "tube" liner... yes this is an old trick I've forgotten all about. :thumb:

This was a long time ago (back when I had hair :smirk:) when I used these. I never rode with them in the past, so I placed a couple in my pre-run bike so I could be use to the feel of how they would respond down in Mexico. Depending on how you like to run your tires and the feel/response you are looking for, you could go both ways. I found them a little on the softer side for my liking at the time. I normally run 15 psi in the front and rear of my tires and these seem to be giving me a feel of 12 so I was not that excited about them. I pre-ran about 500 - 600 miles on them before the event so I was use to how they were going to respond. I would only run them again if I was racing in a rock fest, low speed event now.

This sounds like a good direction for me too... Mousse in the front and heavy duty tube and/or a "tube" liner... yes this is an old trick I've forgotten all about. :thumb:
The bib can add a little extra weight to the front end unless they are lighter than in the past. Again it depends on the feel/response you are looking for coming back from the front end. Double tube is the way to go. I would take a standard tube, cut it along the seam around the middle and warp that around a heavy duty with baby powder between the two and around the outside of the whole thing. That was the best trick for not getting flats in the desert.

This was a long time ago (back when I had hair :smirk:) when I used these. I never rode with them in the past, so I placed a couple in my pre-run bike so I could be use to the feel of how they would respond down in Mexico. Depending on how you like to run your tires and the feel/response you are looking for, you could go both ways. I found them a little on the softer side for my liking at the time. I normally run 15 psi in the front and rear of my tires and these seem to be giving me a feel of 12 so I was not that excited about them. I pre-ran about 500 - 600 miles on them before the event so I was use to how they were going to respond. I would only run them again if I was racing in a rock fest, low speed event now.

The bib can add a little extra weight to the front end unless they are lighter than in the past. Again it depends on the feel/response you are looking for coming back from the front end. Double tube is the way to go. I would take a standard tube, cut it along the seam around the middle and warp that around a heavy duty with baby powder between the two and around the outside of the whole thing. That was the best trick for not getting flats in the desert.

I like it..... going to do that before the next excursion ........... when ever THAT might be.... :cool: