South Dove Springs Area

I was coming home from my Eastern Sierra's camping trip and on the way through I saw huge signs where I used to go riding and camping that said CLOSED AREA, PATROLLED BY AIRCRAFT. This was up at Butterbret Road which is at the northern end of the park. Also I saw large signs of the same nature along the entrance a little bit to the south but could not read them clearly. These roads are both along the 14 freeway and a few miles north of Jawbone Store. I have not been up there for 2 1/2 years and it looks like I wont return with all this crap being displayed. It almost looked like I saw something about graze land and I know there used to be cows up there all the time but the government put an end to that around 4 years ago. Anyone know what's up with my good old riding place?

Could those signs be for Red Rock Cyn state park that sits between Jawbone and Dove?

This whole zone was one of the first restricted areas in the desert. It's been designated routes since 1987. Very few are aware of this and there was not much in the way of enforcement until recently. Now the state park is a whole different situation as parks are controlled to a much greater degree than BLM land.

Could those signs be for Red Rock Cyn state park that sits between Jawbone and Dove?

This whole zone was one of the first restricted areas in the desert. It's been designated routes since 1987. Very few are aware of this and there was not much in the way of enforcement until recently. Now the state park is a whole different situation as parks are controlled to a much greater degree than BLM land.
This is all north of the actual Red Rock Canyon Park. The area is where the actual aqueduct pipe line goes through under ground and they used to have marked trails through out the area which are clearly marked on the map of the area. It looks very intimidating with the big red letters placed right at the entrance off the freeway.

This is all north of the actual Red Rock Canyon Park. The area is where the actual aqueduct pipe line goes through under ground and they used to have marked trails through out the area which are clearly marked on the map of the area. It looks very intimidating with the big red letters placed right at the entrance off the freeway.

TIMO... would YOU let some BIG RED LETTERS intimidate you like that???? :rolleyes:

I guess everyone is in the dark on this one. :noidea: I may have to go up there sometime and just take the Jeep and explore the area.

I cant give exacts , but from what Ive seen it is land owners and siera club types that have filed law suits and the WEMO plan is in effect. To disobey gives more fuel for future law suits where the SC can say it didnt work and needs to be closed in a widder area....same ol stuff, we r losing...it may also be off road only is restricted and on road is legal like thru Red Rock.

There are many unofficial signs up there. If they look hand painted they are usually not Gov signs. These signs state closed areas where legally there are none sometimes. This is because FOJ manages a lot of this and tries to appease the local land owners and pots their own signs. FOJ also pays for a guy with a plane to fly around at times and narc on you. It is not official government action. But it is funded through Green Sticker grants that FOJ receives.

FOJ has a bigger reach than local BLM and they have a huge hand in things. They also don't mind doing whatever it takes to fulfill their agenda of MANAGING us whether it meets with BLM approval or not. BLM wants their efforts but doesn't always agree with the FOJ methods. And I don't think they appreciate the lack of control they have over FOJ.

Not that the BLM would do it any better if they did have total control.

There are many unofficial signs up there. If they look hand painted they are usually not Gov signs. These signs state closed areas where legally there are none sometimes. This is because FOJ manages a lot of this and tries to appease the local land owners and pots their own signs. FOJ also pays for a guy with a plane to fly around at times and narc on you. It is not official government action. But it is funded through Green Sticker grants that FOJ receives.

FOJ has a bigger reach than local BLM and they have a huge hand in things. They also don't mind doing whatever it takes to fulfill their agenda of MANAGING us whether it meets with BLM approval or not. BLM wants their efforts but doesn't always agree with the FOJ methods. And I don't think they appreciate the lack of control they have over FOJ.

Not that the BLM would do it any better if they did have total control.
Don't mean to sound stupid but I am. What is FOJ?

Friends of Jawbone. Headed by Ed Waldheim. Major force in managing the areas all around Cal City. Most people only know them as the people that sell the map for the area.

Friends of Jawbone. Headed by Ed Waldheim. Major force in managing the areas all around Cal City. Most people only know them as the people that sell the map for the area.
So if it is not legally closed then how can they keep people from riding in there? And if the guy in the plane wants to narc on you then who comes out after you and how can they site you if there is no real law restricting where you are riding? This sounds like a typical cluster fuck that makes no sense and just attempts to take away riding areas that have been around for many years. And no these signs do not look like government signs but they are bigger than billboard.

The area west of the 14 from the 178 down to about the Jawbone store went through a route designation process in 1987. That's when the numbered routes we all know and love were written on the map. Everything else was closed way back then. Fast forward the clock about 25 years and they are finally enforcing them. I've pretty much given up on the area so I've not seen those signs about air patrols. I know that both the BLM and the Kern county Sheriffs will write tickets for riding out of bounds. If you camp outside the open areas they will cite you if your kiddos are riding around your rig.