Dirtbiking in cold temperatures/ motor issues?

Good morning guys,

First time posting on your forum, and new to driving the bike.I have taken my YZ 250 out for a few spins in the snow recently, spiked out the tires and all that and have been having a blast on hard packed snow.
Thing is, the air temperature is down around -15-20 c (0,-5F) and I noticed when feeling the cylinder that it was barely warm during the 45 min run.

Here in NE Canada snowmobiles and the cold are a way of life and the motors, liquid or fan cooled usually run much hotter than this.

I am not running hard but I am concerned that I may blow a piston with such a cool running motor...
I was thinking about wrapping up the motor and carburetor a bit to protect it from the cold air.
Also what do you think about using antifreeze in the gas to help with keeping the carb from freezing up.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Labradorcoaster

Good morning guys,

First time posting on your forum, and new to driving the bike.I have taken my YZ 250 out for a few spins in the snow recently, spiked out the tires and all that and have been having a blast on hard packed snow.
Thing is, the air temperature is down around -15-20 c (0,-5F) and I noticed when feeling the cylinder that it was barely warm during the 45 min run.

Here in NE Canada snowmobiles and the cold are a way of life and the motors, liquid or fan cooled usually run much hotter than this.

I am not running hard but I am concerned that I may blow a piston with such a cool running motor...
I was thinking about wrapping up the motor and carburetor a bit to protect it from the cold air.
Also what do you think about using antifreeze in the gas to help with keeping the carb from freezing up.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Labradorcoaster
Be sure to let that thing warm up, before you get crazy on the throttle.Its ok, they run outboard boat motors in the rivers when its that cold....

You can add alittle "heet" to it...But just a tiny bit, those bottles usually are good for 20 gallons.

Welcome to the forum, Don't forget to start a thread in the introductions! And we wanna see some Ice bike pictures.

you can cover the fronts of the radiators to slow the air flow which will warm the bike up while riding. This is a technique used on large diesel trucks which are run in all weather. The modern trucks have adjustable louvers, but the older ones have a canvas cover that snaps on the outside. You can copy this same thing by using duct tape on the rad louvers. Try covering 3/4 and see if the bike runs warmer.

You can also make a fearing to cover the front of the motor to push the air around it and not directly on it. Mount to the frame down tube.
Welcome to the forum!
You have the most versatile bike ever made.

You really want a bike that has a thermostat in the cooling system. It's a common mod to remove them on bikes that have one. In the cold you want it. If you bike has no thermostat you must cover most if of the radiator area or the engine will run really cold.

Evening folks,

A quick update, I took the bike out for a quick spin this afternoon. I covered the front face of one side of the radiator, and I wrapped tinfoil around the front and the two sides of the cylinder casing and carb. when I returned from my ride I immediately saw a big difference in the temperature and actually warmed up a couple frosty fingers on the motor.

I plan to stick a temp sensor in the rad to check the actual temperature of the coolant but I figure I'm good to go...Have not checked the shop manual to verify if there is a thermostat, thinking there should be...

promise to post some pics soon.

Thanks all.

Wilson

BURR.... No Way. I learned my lesson riding in the cold a long time ago. BURRR, I hate it when my hands don't want to release the grips. Up here where I live we do have some ice racing. I will say that when I see them on the ice I say Burr. Then I say man I want to go out there also. But, I do not go on ice. No matter how thick.
Do you ride on the ice.? Welcome to DBA. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do

Thanks for the thread above and the advice. Yeh I've spent some time in the eastern artic and as the guy said the wind swept snow feels like frozen sand, ( except where it's not!) Thus the daily tumbles. I have been finding that they hurt a little less in the snow and I stay fairly warm due to the energy spent working the bike where you want it to go.
Posting some pics of my ride yesterday, it was rather fresh with the windchill somewhere around -30c. Froze my cheek.

Took a pretty good tumble yesterday, attempting a wheelie, rear mud guard disintegrated into 4-5 peices, guess the plastic is just not that flexible in the cold. After return to the garage I also noticed that I had snapped off the throttle housing where the cable enters, didn't seem to affect the throttle response but thinking that I will remove it and epoxy it up until I can get a replacement. Again as the fellow mentioned up in the artic, getting parts are a challenge, there is a ship that comes now once a week, and theres a (usually) daily plane for mail orders.YZ250 & HH resized.jpgBike at House Resized.jpgstudded tire resized.jpgBike at House Resized.jpg studded tire resized.jpg

The island here has very rugged terrain, but with all the snow it is great to be able to go places where I wouldn't dream of in the summer...

First attempt at pictures.

take care,

Wilson