Dez to Forest RR (10-8-11)

Not enough ride reports are showing up so I decided to throw one in…

As usual, plans change. What started as a camping trip turned into another day tripper. It rained 1.2" up top on Wednesday and the predict was sunny, 65-degree high for Saturday ... PERRRRR-FECT. The Tubinator and I met the crew at the local eatery for some intestinal prep work. Parked next to the CHP but was careful not to door-ding him ... hate that kind of attention.

01 CHP.jpg

Staged in the dez, heading for the forest. Had plenty of time for a three-chorus round of "I've Been Kickin' on My Honda" while Tubinator was abusing the XR650.

02 Dez Staging.jpg

Took some SSS into the next valley for XR Pit Stop #1 - air-up rear tire. While waiting, three rogue riders following our tracks blast by ... dang outlaws. Took a cut north to a mine for XR Pit Stop #2 - patch rear tire. Our Lead Mechanic learned again that no good deed goes unpunished when he walked away with a bloody fingernail after an iron slips out of an anonymous XR rider’s hand. With three guys working three irons, it looked like the proverbial monkeys trying to mount the greased soccer ball. No obvious leak point so the crew just sticks a patch on anywhere.

03 Mine.jpg

04 Tube Fix #1 Mine.jpg

05 Tube Fix #1 Mine.jpg

After that, we headed uphill ... but wait, time for XR Pit Stop #3 - jet change. The brown dirt up top after the rain was sweet. Decided to vid a bit of the dicing on the trail. Minutes later, you guessed it, XR Pit Stop #4 - air-up rear-frickin-tire AGAIN. Decide to pretend it won't leak again so we finish that trail and take another SSS cut west and film some of it. NO ONE has tracked this one for over a year cuz it was almost invisible. Did the fun tech stuff and rounded a ridge where two rednecks are carrying a tracking antenna ... hmmm, they lost a dog? Trying to poach a Lowjacked deer? No time to ask questions, we gotta air-up Tubinator and go back to the pits for XR Pit Stop #5. Seeing a pattern here? Headed for the pits at a friend's place up top. Breaking-out a new tube, the Lead Mechanic donates a little more blood and knuckle skin.

06 Tube Fix #2.jpg

Back on the trails we hit a nice climb up an east face. It saw a little more rutting lately so I was glad I had the trials tire for the exposed granite. Got some vid there including a little dirt nap.

07 East Climb.jpg

08 Dirt Nap.jpg

09 Climb.jpg

Dropped down the west side and headed south. "Someone" decided to go on and explore an ancient, overgrown, Fukowi Indian trail which ended with everyone asking "where the Fukowi?". Got a little more vid there.

10 Trail South.jpg

It was time to bail-out and get back before o-dark-thirty. Down an access road, it was a scene from City Slickers with horsepower instead of horses. Got pics herding pissy cows that refused to move aside.

11 Herding.jpg

... and the vid: :ride: :banana: :ride:

Good stuff ... I wouldn't even consider those dirt naps... maybe a yawn, but no nap ... hell I did one of those last Sunday...almost saved it too but I ran out of "gas" and couldn't hold the bike up. :smirk:.......:devil:

Pics or it did not happen. :P
Good stuff ... I wouldn't even consider those dirt naps... maybe a yawn, but no nap ... hell I did one of those last Sunday...almost saved it too but I ran out of "gas" and couldn't hold the bike up. :smirk:.......:devil:

Pics or it did not happen. :P

OK...then it didn't happen! There, a flawless day ... well, sort of...:thinking:... no flawless, ED started everytime, :thumb: didn't take the numerous kicks as ti did during the rez ride... :banana:...:thumb:... my leg liked that ... :smirk:

Sweet RR. This is something I need to do soon. I've never rode the Piutes at all, and probably should get to it, before it's shut down, and I can't. Have some Roost.:thumb: