cylinder head rebuild

Hey guys. What's the most important things to replace in a top end rebuild. I've ordered a new gasket, guide valve, spark plug, and o - rings. Anything I'm missing that's just as important?

SRAD97750

Staff member
What bike are you rebuilding?
How long since the last rebuild?
Why do you feel it needs to be rebuilt?

All of these questions can point me into a good answer about how deep to go. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Sorry I forgot the prefix its a 2003 Suzuki drz-125. Truthfully the bike runs strong since I rebuilt the carb. I asked the previous owner of the two on the title and he had never rebuilt it, he owned it for 2 years. I want this baby in top condition I find solace in mechanical repair.

Sorry I forgot the prefix its a 2003 Suzuki drz-125. Truthfully the bike runs strong since I rebuilt the carb. I asked the previous owner of the two on the title and he had never rebuilt it, he owned it for 2 years. I want this baby in top condition I find solace in mechanical repair.

The only thing you should have to do on this bike for the next 5-10 yrs is add gas, change oil and tires regularly with the occasional valve adjustment. This bike wasn't designed to win races but it was designed to provide years of fun with little worry or maintenance.

Hmm well I've paid for the parts. I've actually bought a new valve. Also my manual specifies to use 96 octane, however the best I can get in this small village is 93 from mobil. Is it okay to mix in some octane boost?

SRAD97750

Staff member
I would stay away from octane booster, they do little/nothing in actually raising the octane.
Run 93, that's two better than the "premium" in CA, and we run HOT!
Don't worry about it.

That motor will never NEED a rebuild...
BUT, I also love freshening up a motor. :hifive:

Top end gasket set, valves, valve seals, guides, spring retainers, have the head professionally cut to the new valves.
Oil, Spark plug, Piston, Rings, Pin, and cylinder hone.
You can look into cam chain, tensioner, and guides if they look worn, but I doubt it'll even look used!

Post a ton of photos as you go.-BIG DAN:thumb:

Awesome possuem, I should have my parts next week. I won't buy a new piston until I crack it open and see if its loose but I will definitely hone it and put in new rings. I don't have a piston or cylinder measure and I bet there not to cheap. Hopefully I won't need to but if I do, its something I would likely need one day any way.