CTI or Don Joy Knee Braces

James

Staff member
A week or so ago my bike landed on my right knee and I finally saw my doc today. My fear was that I had a stage 1 (mild) tear of my MCL, but thankfully the diagnosis ended up being (in his words) "You bruised the crap out of it". :lol:

Me being me, I brought up the custom knee brace thing again. This time he was like, sure lets get you scheduled for a fitting. So as long as my insurance will cover it....:banana: He did leave a nice "speech" in the report for the pre-cert department, something about how this will reduce the risk of a torn ACL, MCL, PCL, etc., while riding motocross. :blah: :smirk:

So now on to the selection part, CTI or Don Joy? I remember mxdirtdiva floating between them in this thread.
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/forum/general-dirt-bike-discussion/998-knee-guards-5.html#post21011

I'm really leaning towards the CTI Pro Sport with the Motocross and Flexion stop kits. Plus I might also see about getting the Hyperextension strap and ACL cable system. :noidea:
http://www.ossur.com/?PageID=13230

http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=12670

http://www.ossur.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=22906

Anybody have any experience with either?

I saw some Pods or something for 260$ range today from chapparels so I'm saving. Can you get insurance to pay for that? They both look good!

James

Staff member
I saw some Pods or something for 260$ range today from chapparels so I'm saving. Can you get insurance to pay for that? They both look good!
Never heard of anyone getting off-the-self ones paid through insurance, a prescription is typically needed.

By the time you add on all the extra crap you wear riding, you will have to re-adjust your suspension. I must take you an 1 hour to get ready to ride.

James

Staff member
By the time you add on all the extra crap you wear riding, you will have to re-adjust your suspension. I must take you an 1 hour to get ready to ride.
:prof: Damn right it does! :smirk:

The only (extra) stuff I wear that you don't are knee & neck braces, right? Neck brace literally takes 10 secs and the knee braces take a minute or two, not much longer then plain old knee pads.

If you rode track on a regular basis you might actually change your viewpoint on knee braces. They do their best work when you catch your foot in a corner. Hit a corner 3rd gear revved out only to have your foot get caught in a rut or hit the dirt. Your foot will be behind your rear wheel faster then you can snap your fingers. And if it gets twisted on its journey to the rear wheel...:cripple:

:lol: It's not really funny, but once when that happened to a buddy he managed to ride over his foot. Needless to say he stayed put and the bike went on. :picard:

The only (extra) stuff I wear that you don't are knee & neck braces, right? Neck brace literally takes 10 secs and the knee braces take a minute or two, not much longer then plain old knee pads.

If you rode track on a regular basis you might actually change your viewpoint on knee braces. They do their best work when you catch your foot in a corner. Hit a corner 3rd gear revved out only to have your foot get caught in a rut or hit the dirt. Your foot will be behind your rear wheel faster then you can snap your fingers. And if it gets twisted on its journey to the rear wheel...:cripple:

:lol: It's not really funny, but once when that happened to a buddy he managed to ride over his foot. Needless to say he stayed put and the bike went on. :picard:

CDA does not take his bike off of the stand. No need for knee or neck braces :prof:. When his bike is off the stand it is usually by one of his many stunt doubles that may or may not wear braces. Just sayin..............

This \/\/\/\/\/ Foot off the ground
foot off the ground.jpg

Not this \/\/\/\/\/\/ foot on the ground
foot on ground.JPG

Just saying ...and Your welcome :smirk:

:lol: oh and by the way, look what comes up when you type in Dirtbike railing a berm

railing berm.jpg

Does anyone notice who is in those three pics? .......... Why is our very own Leadhead Riley :smirk: and when you click on the pics they take you to this site that I never heard of :thinking: DBA :banana:

I do not see anything in this post that warrants "YOU" to add knee braces to the mix.:smirk:

CDA does not take his bike off of the stand. No need for knee or neck braces :prof:. When his bike is off the stand it is usually by one of his many stunt doubles that may or may not wear braces. Just sayin..............
Yes I do have many stunt doubles to choose from.