clutch, stalling in first gear

I have a suzuki RM 125 and when in first gear and with the clutch pulled it stalls out. like it is still grabbing or not fully disengaging. I have Both The Clutch Lever And the cable adjusted as far out as it can go with out the clutch slipping and I just replaced the clutch cable..

So are my clutch plates sticking or what's going on here?

And also is it bad to ride like this? It seems to shift perfect without any anomalies.

iv heard turning up my idle would help, which makes sense because I can keep it from stalling with the slightest twist of the throttle. or would turning the idle up just mask a bigger problem?

Last edited:
I have a suzuki RM 125 and when in first gear and with the clutch pulled it stalls out. like it is still grabbing or not fully disengaging. I have Both The Clutch Lever And the cable adjusted as far out as it can go with out the clutch slipping and I just replaced the clutch cable..

So are my clutch plates sticking or what's going on here?

And also is it bad to ride like this? It seems to shift perfect without any anomalies.

iv heard turning up my idle would help, which makes sense because I can keep it from stalling with the slightest twist of the throttle. or would turning the idle up just mask a bigger problem?

Hello Chris....welcome to the site.

It sounds like you are letting the clutch out with out any additional throttle? Usually feeding throttle while dis engaging the clutch is what's normally done. If I misunderstood and that's the case, then I would change the transmission oil, if no change there, most likely you have an internal clutch issue such as a notched or grooved clutch basket, wouldn't be the first time on a zook.

I just did an oil change.

Thanks for the reply but I think you misunderstood.

When I Come To a stop and leave it in first gear, pull In the clutch and let it idle with zero throttle input it will stall out. I do a lot of trail riding with a buddie and having to put it in nuetrel every time I come to stop is a little annoying.
If I give it a little throttle tho still with clutch pulled in it will keep it from stalling but can still feel like the clutch is gripping and the bike kinda wants to lunge forward..
I hope this clears things up.
this is something I can deal with but I just want to make sure it's not hurting the bike riding like this. I don't want to mess up my gears as I just replaced second and sixth gear

I just did an oil change.

Thanks for the reply but I think you misunderstood.

When I Come To a stop and leave it in first gear, pull In the clutch and let it idle with zero throttle input it will stall out. I do a lot of trail riding with a buddie and having to put it in nuetrel every time I come to stop is a little annoying.
If I give it a little throttle tho still with clutch pulled in it will keep it from stalling but can still feel like the clutch is gripping and the bike kinda wants to lunge forward..
I hope this clears things up.
this is something I can deal with but I just want to make sure it's not hurting the bike riding like this. I don't want to mess up my gears as I just replaced second and sixth gear

Clutch is dragging....if the cable adjustment is all the way out, then I believe your looking most likely at a clutch basket. But you'll need to tear it down and inspect before its known for sure. You would be lookin for notches , grooves and the like along the basket, this could cause the problem you're having.

Okay. I figured. I just had my engine in the shop and they said my basket was in good shape by my plates would need replacing soon they said they would last another season but are on there way out. Could my plates be sticking?

I can do all the work my self. My main concern is if I'm doing damage riding with it like this. like I said it seems to shift just fine.

Clutch work doesn't requiring cracking the case correct? Cause as long as it doesn't come to cracking the case I'm confident in doing the work myself.
Thanks for the help!

Okay. I figured. I just had my engine in the shop and they said my basket was in good shape by my plates would need replacing soon they said they would last another season but are on there way out. Could my plates be sticking?

I can do all the work my self. My main concern is if I'm doing damage riding with it like this. like I said it seems to shift just fine.

Clutch work doesn't requiring cracking the case correct? Cause as long as it doesn't come to cracking the case I'm confident in doing the work myself.
Thanks for the help!

I dont think I'd be worried about causing any further damage, probably ok riding it until whenever your planning on replacing the clutch plates.