Clutch not disengaging fully?

My wife rides a 2012 ttr125le and she was complaining about it feeling like the bike decelerating slow with the clutch engaged.

I got the rear tire off the ground and sure enough it spins when put into gear. With the clutch fully in and the tire off the ground, if I give gas the tire starts to go faster and faster!

Obviously the clutch is not fully disengaging. I tried adjusting the cable by the lever and after 7 turns (right before the screw comes out), the clutch still isn't disengaging but it is a little better(it's obviously making less contact).

I just changed the oil 2 rides ago, so its not 'bad' oil. This also still happened after the bike ran for a bit and was warmed up.

What could be the problem and whats my next step in diagnosing and fixing this issue?

SRAD97750

Staff member
The clutch will always hang a little when the engine is off an the wheels are off the ground. It's just the fluid viscosity.

I think a smaller adjustment and then try riding it again for some time to see if it makes a difference. You won't notice a change without riding it. -BIG DAN:thumb:

With the bike running in gear and stopped with the clutch disengaged, does it want to lurch and pull ahead? If not I'm not sure you have the problem you think you have. if it does, did it start doing this after the oil change,what oil are you running. If it's too thick it may cause these types of symptoms.

I'm suspect to oil
A High viscosity oil with lots of molyendums and fancy stuffs will cause the clutch to feel odd.
Also, TTRs have a very very heavy flywheel to the point where you can mill about 40oz off of it to help it spool up faster. That heavy flywheel inertia would also prevent the bike from slowing down faster.

I replaced both the TTR's and wr450 oil with rotella oil.

You guys do have a point though, the boke is leaning on its side so maybe that'spushing the plates together with gravity. I will try to put it on a stand and do it again.

While I will try it again on a stand... I will say this. If I turn the bike off, put it in first gear and hold the clutch, it is still not easy to push the bike. I know it's not supposed to be as easy as in neutral. However I can definitely feel that I'm working against something.

I replaced both the TTR's and wr450 oil with rotella oil.

You guys do have a point though, the boke is leaning on its side so maybe that'spushing the plates together with gravity. I will try to put it on a stand and do it again.

While I will try it again on a stand... I will say this. If I turn the bike off, put it in first gear and hold the clutch, it is still not easy to push the bike. I know it's not supposed to be as easy as in neutral. However I can definitely feel that I'm working against something.

Yeah that's normal.

I'm having a hard time believing that it's normal for the rear wheel to accelerate when giving gas, but with clutch in! That's the point of the clutch, to disconnect power from the wheels!

Every thread I read on it they say it could be from warped plates and that it's not normal. However none of the threads are on a ttr, so that's why I asked here.

Are you really that positive that it's normal. What test should I do to see if the amount of contact,while clutch is in, is NOT normal.(according to your opinion of normal)

I dont have a wet clutched bike, which will NOT gain speed under the same scenario.

You never tried this with a dry clutch, have you?

I dont have a wet clutched bike, which will NOT gain speed under the same scenario.

You never tried this with a dry clutch, have you?
I'm mechanically inclined but I don't have alot of experience/knowledge in this type of stuff.... what the difference between the dry and wet and which do I have? (I have my wife's ttr125le and my 2014 wr450f)

Your motorcycles have wet clutches. Some motorcycles have dry clutches. Cars and trucks with manual transmissions have dry clutches. Even Those will exhibit some of the tendencies you list.

The people you have been listening to in my opinion are probably equal to you in experience.

Your motorcycles have wet clutches. Some motorcycles have dry clutches. Cars and trucks with manual transmissions have dry clutches. Even Those will exhibit some of the tendencies you list.

The people you have been listening to in my opinion are probably equal to you in experience.

Good to hear, I'm glad you chimed in..... I think I understand where the wet vs dry clutch name comes from (oil in the clutch container I'm guessing)

Can you give me an example of at what point it's not normal but an actual problem like warped clutch? I'm guessing when it pushes you forward when your sitting on it with the clutch in?

Good to hear, I'm glad you chimed in..... I think I understand where the wet vs dry clutch name comes from (oil in the clutch container I'm guessing)

Can you give me an example of at what point it's not normal but an actual problem like warped clutch? I'm guessing when it pushes you forward when your sitting on it with the clutch in?
Your last sentence pretty well sums it up. Neither a dry or wet clutch design totally eleminate drag.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time believing that it's normal for the rear wheel to accelerate when giving gas, but with clutch in! That's the point of the clutch, to disconnect power from the wheels!

Every thread I read on it they say it could be from warped plates and that it's not normal. However none of the threads are on a ttr, so that's why I asked here.

Are you really that positive that it's normal. What test should I do to see if the amount of contact,while clutch is in, is NOT normal.(according to your opinion of normal)

There will always be some resistance even when the clutch is engaged. Some bikes are more noticeable than others. I can start my RM250 with the rear wheel off ground and in neutral and the rear wheel will still spin and will spin faster as I give it gas. Just the oil circulating in the tranny causing that.

I have a ttr125l and I beat the snot out of it for the last 5-6 years and I bought it used. I teach everyone to ride on that bike because it's so tough and so incredibly easy to learn on. So the stock clutch has some serious abuse on it and still no problems.
Everything I'm reading on your post tells me your clutch is fine and so is your oil.