Chest Protector Argument...help...

I can't believe this is what my first post is going to be about but I really need some input here...

Tomorrow morning we are taking our boys (almost 11 and almost 7) to a dirt kiddie track for the first time. We live on an acre of land that is all back yard so until now, they've been riding a good size "track" in the yard. The kids have all the gear EXCEPT, chest protectors (which they're getting for their b-day's in about a month)

The oldest rides an ATV and the youngest is on a Yamaha PW50. My wife is insisting they wear their Taekwondo sparring chest gear under their shirts and I think it is going to restrict their movement too much. They kind of look like this, but ours are straight across the bottom -- http://www.taekwondosupplies.org/shop-products/reversible-chest-protector/

So the argument is - which is more "unsafe", riding on the kiddie track without the chest protector, or riding with it?

I can't believe this is what my first post is going to be about but I really need some input here...

Tomorrow morning we are taking our boys (almost 11 and almost 7) to a dirt kiddie track for the first time. We live on an acre of land that is all back yard so until now, they've been riding a good size "track" in the yard. The kids have all the gear EXCEPT, chest protectors (which they're getting for their b-day's in about a month)

The oldest rides an ATV and the youngest is on a Yamaha PW50. My wife is insisting they wear their Taekwondo sparring chest gear under their shirts and I think it is going to restrict their movement too much. They kind of look like this, but ours are straight across the bottom -- http://www.taekwondosupplies.org/shop-products/reversible-chest-protector/

So the argument is - which is more "unsafe", riding on the kiddie track without the chest protector, or riding with it?

I never made my kids wear a chest protector, I almost never wear one when I ride,but that's just me. I also never really won an argument with my wife, do what she says.

Welcome Mike :cheers: Your first post is somewhat puzzling and intriguing at the same time. I have never heard of a disagreement between a mom and dad before. :noidea: In any event, just let your kids ride with the extra gear - they will just be happy to be out there riding and your wife will be able to relax a little. Bear in mind, this is my own $.02 (which in Canada rounds down to $.00 now that we have done away with the penny) :thumb: Have a great time at the track and hope you stick around this forum. Let us know how it goes.

Welcome to the forum. All my kids wore cheat protectors when they started. Even the girls when riding ATVs. My son was 5 on a pw50 as well. If they have not been wearing them now in the backyard, that's one thing but if you are taking them to a track with other kids they will be around other kids and could be taking more soil samples.

Like Nedge said, add the gear and let them ride. They will probably not even know it's there and the smiles and fuel burning will take over. :thumb:

You have to start them out with a Chester protector! After that - things get weird
fast.

Attachments

• 008_8_2.JPG
    008_8_2.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1575.JPG
    IMG_1575.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0491.JPG
    DSC_0491.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0635.JPG
    DSC_0635.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0021_2.jpg
    DSC_0021_2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0777.JPG
    DSC_0777.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_1039.JPG
    DSC_1039.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 9
Those don't look restrictive at all. They actually look quite similar to the vest type protectors I'm seeing a lot of younger kids in these days. I'd put my kids in one of these vests than a traditional CP
5088680_f496.jpg

my son's first chest protector came from his hockey gear. they have more things that fit in that sport than they do from the mx shops in my experience.