Chain Trouble

So yesterday I went through this giant mud puddle/crossing, almost to the axle's deep. I missed the easy way around and got myself into some trouble. Going through the murky water I must have hit something as the chain popped off the rear and then bound itself up under the front sprocket and against the frame so perfectly that I couldn't get it out. Three guys stopped to help and we had to take the master link off (which was stuck partially against the frame) and use the caveman hammer (rock) to whack the chain free. This is after trying to jump on the chain to get it unstuck.

When we got it free there was almost no slack in the chain and we could barely get the thing around the rear sprocket. We did get it around which saved me a 2 mile walk out of the woods. I was able to carefully ride myself to the car.

I dropped it off at the shop on my way home and talked to them this morning. I'm thinking of buying a new chain and having it installed due to the way we went at it to get it unstuck. The bike has 14 hours on it. If I go this route should I also swap out the the sprockets?

I am meticulous about my chains especially being a cyclist. Dirty chains/chain rings/cassettes don't sit well with me.

Thoughts on what I should have the shop do?

take a look at the teeth of the sprocket... are they starting to spiral?(get a curve to them) are some broke? does it look bent at all.... if you spin it do you see a woble?

if you dont have any of those i would think your sprockets are fine.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I am a "Fit, form, function" guy. If it fits, takes the right form, and functions as intended, RUN IT.

But, Chains and sprockets are supposed to be changed together to maximize life. If there is even the slightest bit of wear on the used sprockets from the old chain, then it'll wear the new chain improperly.

14 easy hours, I'd just change the chain.
14 hours of torturous hillclimbs, drag races, and a big motor, I'd change the whole Kit.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Probably be just fine swapping out the chain.
Although, a thrown chain is a sign of something else... but it could have been debris in the water.
I'd check the new chain tension and verify your chain guide is working properly.
-BIG DAN:thumb: