can't hold on to bike when climbing

Hi newbie to dirt bike. I am normally a weekend warrior in the forest, and learn things myself by watching YouTube.

I have problem holding on bike when ascending. Particularly when the slope is bumpy. I found myself not able to hold the "attacking" position for too long as the gravity force is dragging me down while the bike is pulling me up. My left arm can't hold on to handle bar while two finger feathering the clutch. Several occasions, I ended up crashing by whiskey throttle.

I tried standing over handle bar. It seems it is pushing me up which is good, but the rear wheel spins and loose traction. Also the front felt harder to negotiate with terrain. So eventually I ended up not going any where.

I also tried sitting back on the back wheel. If I don't give enough gas, I would end up stalling in mid hill; or a bit too much, I got slid off the back of the bike and the bike just shot up and land upside down. Plus the force is dragging me upwards badly that I can't hold on long enough.

Please help, very frustrated. I understand it s my body position,but just can't hold on to the bike when climb. Am I too physical weak?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Seat Time.
You need to keep doing just that, riding. Depending on the hill it is a combination of sitting, squatting, standing, and praying at the exact right moments.
Big tip would be, squeeze alot more with the legs. Pinch the tank HARD. You should not be hanging onto the bike with your hands, ever. Arms should be loose.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

You are suggesting, I need to keep moving my butt back and forth during climb? From climb perspective, it s also up and down.

Regards to the squeezing, the bike has slippery plastic or seat at where my knees are when at standing position. Don't feel too much grip there. I did something wrong?

SRAD97750

Staff member
You are suggesting, I need to keep moving my butt back and forth during climb? From climb perspective, it s also up and down.

Regards to the squeezing, the bike has slippery plastic or seat at where my knees are when at standing position. Don't feel too much grip there. I did something wrong?
Only riding more can make you less 'weak.' Pinch hard with the knees on the tank. At any time you should be able to hang your arms freely, holding yourself up with your core. You don't provide anything but throttle, brakes, and light steering at the bars. -BIG DAN:thumb: