Cab anyone help me check my coil

I have a service manual for my son's PW80 but it doesn't make sense. Please see the following...... The text does not match up worth the drawing!
The text (item 6) tells me to put my multi-meter + probe onto the push-on terminal and and the - probe into the spark plug wire......yet the diagram shows the probes going to the mounting bracket when testing the secondary winding!!uploadfromtaptalk1410078306426.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410078334946.jpg

Who is being dumb.....me or them??

The testing drawing looks correct. For testing both the primary and the secondary sides of a coil. The drawing is just showing both test at the same time. You actually do each as a separate test.

Paw Paw

I agree with Pawpaw.
it is showing 2 tests at the same time but that's only a diagram to show you where to connect the leads during each test. They want you to test one and then the other.

I realise that guys, but read the text for testing the secondary. It says connect one probe to the spark plug wire and one to the 'push on terminal' (which is the orange wire on the coil). But the diagram and the explanation on the next to it (item 2) shows the arrow of the probe going to the mounting bolt hole.

yes, the primary test the lead goes to orange push on and the negative to the grounding bolt. the secondary the lead goes to the ground bolt and the negative goes to the plug wire.

I often have to read the instructions twice on these Jap manuals as the Japanese translations are a bit rough.

Obviously diagram 2 is wrong.....wouldn't be the first diagram I've seen wrong, but sometimes you gotta use common sense, figure out how the circuit or device works first then you test the circuit. I've been led down that rabbit trail many times on incorrect wiring diagrams whether it's Mitchell or OEM.