Buying a new bike; Dual sport vs sport bike

I may be buying a new bike this weekend. I sold my truck and now have $1200 to spend.

First up is this DRZ400s.
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/mcy/3935917186.html
I am interested in converting that to an SM, but I'm not sure I can do it on the cheap. The condition of sale is that we trade his bike, for my bike+$300 to him. That would leave me with $900 that was going to be my truck fund, but would probably end up converting that to supermoto and leaving me an all-seasons rider. But I could possibly convert it, and resale it for $2500-$3000?

Second is this CBR600F4.
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/mcy/3923639772.html
He says all fairings are good except for the front piece. I could make it a streetfighter for $250 or Set it back to stock for probably around $400. Condition of sale is straight $1200 cash, leaving me with two bikes. Then I would consider parting my bike out or selling as whole. I imagine the resale of this F4 would probably be $2500 and also have the cash from my current F3.

Any advise is appreciated!!

Side note: it's my dream to own a supermoto, but I've never ridden a winter season, so I'm not sure how much that would suck. Should I go for it? Or buy the F4?

Thank you!!

Dual sports are so much fun. You can pretty much jump anything :smirk:. But seriously, i love the shit outta my WR. But it does have downsides if you like going for long cruises or on the highway. What are you useing it for? dd? playing around? weekend warrior?

DS ftw! Once you get a plate you never go back. Everytime you get on your dirt bike and then jump on the street for a ride around town you can't help but smile knowing your dirt bike is street legal. Just be careful on not getting caught up with jumping curbs and speed bumps, not to mention small dirt hills on the side of the road. Riding a street legal dirt bike sometimes makes you think the world is now your playground. :smirk: :ride:

If everything goes as planned, I am going to meet the DS guy at the Blue Ridge Parkway entrance, we switch and ride the parkway. If we like it, we trade. If not, I'm going to probably pick up that F4.

Dual sports are so much fun. You can pretty much jump anything :smirk:. But seriously, i love the shit outta my WR. But it does have downsides if you like going for long cruises or on the highway. What are you useing it for? dd? playing around? weekend warrior?

:lol: I will be using it as my daily driver, play, and possibly some weekend warrior. I know it would be hard to set the bike up for all of that. It will mostly be used for street/playing on the street. :smirk: Most of the roads I travel daily start in the mountains, and into the valley/suburbs for work, then back up. It's curvy mountain roads and then suburban 45mph zones... I rarely take the highway/interstate and if I do it wont be for long.

DS ftw! Once you get a plate you never go back. Everytime you get on your dirt bike and then jump on the street for a ride around town you can't help but smile knowing your dirt bike is street legal. Just be careful on not getting caught up with jumping curbs and speed bumps, not to mention small dirt hills on the side of the road. Riding a street legal dirt bike sometimes makes you think the world is now your playground. :smirk: :ride:

:lol: :lol: Sounds amazing!! I find myself all the time while riding my streetbike and seeing something I wish I had a dual sport for. Really though...how can a cop get mad at watching someone cut off road and hit some leftover fill dirt? :noidea:

Did you consider the insurance. My plated XR600 is under $100/yr. What insurance for a young guy on a sport bike? Got to be way way more. I have a 250 street bike that I basically got for free. It's slow, but the insurance on it is $19/yr.

The DR might not have the juice of a true 450 dirt bike, but the engine lasts a long time. I'd go with the DR, but I'm not a sport bike guy.

If cash is tight, you can get street tires for the stock DR rims. They are way better than dirt tires, but nothing like the sticky 17 inch street tires.

Did you consider the insurance. My plated XR600 is under $100/yr. What insurance for a young guy on a sport bike? Got to be way way more. I have a 250 street bike that I basically got for free. It's slow, but the insurance on it is $19/yr.

The DR might not have the juice of a true 450 dirt bike, but the engine lasts a long time. I'd go with the DR, but I'm not a sport bike guy.

If cash is tight, you can get street tires for the stock DR rims. They are way better than dirt tires, but nothing like the sticky 17 inch street tires.

Sorry, I revived an old thread. Both of the deals fell through...DRZ guy backed out and the CBR guy sold it without telling me. I think now I am just going to buy a dirt bike since I will be shipping for Basic training in December. Maybe I can get a few rides in and I hope to continue riding while in service. I have $1000 to spend on a cheap little 125.

Insurance is a good thing to consider, I have a 97 CBR600f3 right now and only pay $140 a year for it, and I'm 18. I'm not sure why it's so cheap other than that it's older and I'm under my dad's.

I do think after I get out of OSUT, I want to get a sumo, and actually afford it. :drool: