Broken Airbox?

Yes Yes, I have gotten the "just epoxy it" and "why not buy a new one? Or a used one off ebay". I'm simply asking for some ideas on my attempt to fix this one before going out and buying another used clapped out box :thumb:

IMAG0871.jpg

IMAG0858.jpg

IMAG0860.jpg

Turn the nut plate side ways and rivet it back into place. If your conserned about any gaps you can fill those up with great stuff foam

SIDEWAYS! why have I not thought of that :facepalm: That's a good idea, I think I'd rather fill in the gaps with some epoxy. I'd think great stuff would expand FAR to much. But that stuff is indeed great :prof:

SIDEWAYS! why have I not thought of that :facepalm: That's a good idea, I think I'd rather fill in the gaps with some epoxy. I'd think great stuff would expand FAR to much. But that stuff is indeed great :prof:

Well what you do with the great stuff is put a backing plate. Like card board or something tape it into place on the inside so it wont expand into the box. Then once its cured. you can sand it of or use a razor knife to cut off what you dont want. You will have to do the same on the inside a little but it will help strengthen that weak area also. Or you could just use epoxy but use the backing plate like a suggested before. Either way should work great.

Well what you do with the great stuff is put a backing plate. Like card board or something tape it into place on the inside so it wont expand into the box. Then once its cured. you can sand it of or use a razor knife to cut off what you dont want. You will have to do the same on the inside a little but it will help strengthen that weak area also. Or you could just use epoxy but use the backing plate like a suggested before. Either way should work great.

I think my brain is failing tonight...why am I not thinking before speaking:lol:

Thanks for the suggestion! I will deff keep that in mine :thumb:

this happended to my 125, and I used some lacquer thinner to 'plastic weld' it back on... give it a shot... but be careful :thumb:

This happened to me also with my 78 YZ. I fabbed a new, larger piece of sheet metal with a new insert. It worked great for me, but I think Smokes idea is the easiest.:thumb:

this happended to my 125, and I used some lacquer thinner to 'plastic weld' it back on... give it a shot... but be careful :thumb:
The plastic came off around the rivet, so Idk if I should clean up the whole and epoxy a piece of plastic in to patch it, err plastic weld it, err do exactly as smoke said.

You should get a picture of your fixed airbox :D

use "goop" to do the gluing. It is like super tuff silicon. it doesnt instantly stick tho. Use the rivet or super glue for the quick hold and then coat it with this stuff. Holds like no other and stays semi flexible. I smear it with my fingers and then let it dry 24 hrs. Get it off your fingers by rubbing them together like getting a booger off. I repaired the bottom of my sons boots with the stuff by putting on several layers. Still holding after 10 or so rides.