Bow hunting riders!

I've got an iPhone 4 whatever. Either it sucks or I'm an idiot using it at night! .....Shaddup!

Here's the intro: Got to my camp late, pared out 5 new White pines and transplanted them. Watered them down, opened up camp and made a fire inside and outside. It's 5:00pm.

Shit! I have a dozen tree stands on the property, I figured I'll go sit in the nearest one and see what I see with my bow.

I threw on the "camp" camo coveralls that hang in my cabin for guests that stink like ass, and walked up to one of my stands. I took a nap for an hour or so...

Then Holy Crap! It was like Scotty "beamed" in this huge buck just outside my shooting zone...walking my way thru some shit.

The mind did a million calculations in a split second....how big is the rack? (Biggest consideration)
How big is the body? Do I have a shot? Should I do this? Is he gonna give me a clean kill shot? (Actually the biggest consideration)

The answers came back "Yes, yes, yes, and yes."

He was walking fast following doe scent, so I figured my arrow would take the time to travel to hit him in the boiler room if I aimed just in front of the shoulder.

I released the arrow just as he paused. (Shit!) I hit him just in front of the shoulders in the spine, paralyzing him, and dropping him in his tracks like a bag of hammers!

I struggled with the next 20 minutes thinking he would bleed out. No such deal. I waited. He winced in pain! F!

I finally got out of my stand and walked up on him. He was lifting his head and looking me in the eye. Just his head and neck could move.

I don't like this. I like a quick, clean kill. So I took out my big buck knife and quickly eased it into his heart...

That was weird and cool at the same time. That buck had it's head up looking me in the eye as I put it down. It's head drifted slowly to the ground, and I watched it take it's last breath.

I remember the time of day, the leaves falling off the trees, the smells, the sounds....and the quiet after that!

Very powerful experience!

I'm not religious, but I do lay my hands on the beast that has just given up it's life by my hand and thank its spirit for providing me excellent food for me and my family.

My apologies if I F'd this up as I tried to do it from a phone and 'puter' Gimee some slack!

Attachments

• photo (11).JPG
    photo (11).JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 18
If you did all this on the Iphone I think you did a good job. :thumb: Put some of those steaks on dry ice and send my way when you get the chance.

I'm not religious, but I do lay my hands on the beast that has just given up it's life by my hand and thank its spirit for providing me excellent food for me and my family.

:thumb: All animals should be respected after the kill. I'm a firm believer in that and I show respect to every animal I hunt. You're a grade-A hunter Buck, thank you!

Hey Buck, just thought you would appreciate this - my secretary's daughter (age 13) just got her First Whitetail this weekend - black powder too !!!!!

I think that is awesome!

This weekend I have to behave myself because I'm bringing Boy Scouts and 14-16 year old kids to hunt on my property.

They have practiced with bows and I will put them up in stands!

That makes me happy! They will get up before dawn, eat breakfast that they make in my cabin, and adults will walk them to their stands. This is bow hunting season.

I'm looking forward to it! I've got a dozen stands over several hundred acres! These kids will see stuff they can garner!

I'm excited at what they can do! I have my Polaris Sportsman ready to drag what they kill in these big hills of southern Ohio.

I hope they all get a nice deer!

I got mine already, so everyone can have their way! Me? I'm camp "Bitch" ! I cook and clean! Actually doing some serious work, PLUS being a "chef". I kick ass in both regards.

All of these kid's families eat venison, they are not paupers, but still appreciate the meat in the freezer.

I just had my Polaris Sportsman serviced and ready for action!

This is the last year for my Polaris Sportsman. Next year I'm going full pussy with a Polaris Ranger 900. That's not to say that I still don't have 2 XR's at the helm in my paddock! Fuck yeah!

I worked too hard this summer! It was slave labor on the land and cabin! Sun-up to sun-down, just working...no riding. We seriously worked our asses off. I lost 15 lbs! I'm down to 210! Which is good!

I'd like to see these kids have some success on my land, and my friends as well!

The rut is coming up, wish us well!

John