Bike wont start, keeps flooding

Bike started fine a couple days ago, now when I try to start it it immediately floods out. After 3 kicks its dripping gas. Compression is no the problem, I maintain that stuff meticulously. I suck with carbs though. Whats the issue? Tried the choke and the hot start and nothing at all multiple times, nothing is happening. Just pours out gas.

Taking it apart is the best plan, but there is a quick thing to try if you are on the road/trail.

Shut off the gas.
Open the carb drain and let all the fuel drain out.
Turn the gas back on and llet the gas flow for a few seconds.
Repeat at least once more.
close the carb drain and give it a try

The idea is to flush out a small but of crud that is keeping the float valve open.

However, if you are in your garage, it's best to open up the carb and give everything a good blast of carb cleaner. Keep an eye out for other issues like a worn out float valve or a float with a hole.

If it happens again flush out the tank, lines, etc. You might also consider a filter.

Alright everybody, I took the carb all apart, blasted everything with carb cleaner, set the float height (sure enough, it was off), put it all back together, and it still won't start. I also took a good look at the float, float needle, and the needle seat and everything looks fine. I fact, it looks perfect. No signs of wear. bobkyle2, I just shimmed the valves a few days ago. They are spot on. I made sure it is getting air, also checked the spark, and took a good look at the fuel and it looks clean. Just to make sure, I'm going to drain the AVGAs thats in it and go buy some genuine racing fuel tomorrow and see if that helps at all, but I doubt it. What other suggestions do you guys have? I'm at a complete loss. The carb is now spotless, it has compression and spark...I just don't know.

James

Staff member
Alright everybody, I took the carb all apart, blasted everything with carb cleaner, set the float height (sure enough, it was off), put it all back together, and it still won't start. I also took a good look at the float, float needle, and the needle seat and everything looks fine. I fact, it looks perfect. No signs of wear. bobkyle2, I just shimmed the valves a few days ago. They are spot on. I made sure it is getting air, also checked the spark, and took a good look at the fuel and it looks clean. Just to make sure, I'm going to drain the AVGAs thats in it and go buy some genuine racing fuel tomorrow and see if that helps at all, but I doubt it. What other suggestions do you guys have? I'm at a complete loss. The carb is now spotless, it has compression and spark...I just don't know.

Is it a high compression setup? If not try running premium (92-93) instead.

Race fuel and AVGAS is a high compression low combustible product. Definitely try pump gas and check the intake boot for tears. Get some start fluid also.

Good luck, I'll keep thinking.

Bike started fine a couple days ago, now when I try to start it it immediately floods out. After 3 kicks its dripping gas. Compression is no the problem, I maintain that stuff meticulously. I suck with carbs though. Whats the issue? Tried the choke and the hot start and nothing at all multiple times, nothing is happening. Just pours out gas.
Tip your dirt bike up on a wheelie check for any Dark liquid coming out of the and ptail pipe this indicates that your bike is flooded try to buy a new carb if you can't fix the one you have now and remover your spark plug and dry it kick your kick Start to push all that flood out and try to go from there (do not roll the bike with out the spark plug it will catch fire.