bike starts to turn off on acceleration

when i bought the bike it took 20 minutes of back and fourth to get the bike to idle. but when it ran it ran perfectly. since then i had a mechanic clean my carb. once back in the bike it now idles perfectly but when i accelerate it starts to turn off and it stutters and hesitates and back fires.

also if there is any relevance to going around the block and back. and the exhaust being red hot right near where it comes out the engine.

any thoughts? thank you

Jetting might be off, what bike, what pipe, what's up?

its a ttr 225 he is a small engine mechanic and he cleaned the jets and everything. but when i give it hard gas it starts turning off. and the exhaust pipe where it comes out the engine was glowing red hot after running for 2 min.

SRAD97750

Staff member
its a ttr 225 he is a small engine mechanic and he cleaned the jets and everything. but when i give it hard gas it starts turning off. and the exhaust pipe where it comes out the engine was glowing red hot after running for 2 min.
That is a lean condition. Red hot pipe, and bogging.
I imagine the spark plug would read lean as well.

Did he adjust the needle clip or main jet at all? If not, I'd be looking for an air leak. -BIG DAN:thumb:

That is a lean condition. Red hot pipe, and bogging.
I imagine the spark plug would read lean as well.

Did he adjust the needle clip or main jet at all? If not, I'd be looking for an air leak. -BIG DAN:thumb:

how would one check for an air leak and no he didn't adjust anything. i bought a new spark plug and they told me the wrong one was in it. but it ran perfect before the clean. therefor if you guys say air leak im gonna start with the rubber thing that goes from the carb to the engine because that the only thing what was touched it was hard to get the carb lined up. maybe we ripped it or something. thank you guys

Start the bike and while it is idling spray wd40 or carb cleaner around the rubber boot and intake area. If the idle changes when you spray in a specific spot you have found your air leak.