Bike lighting (looking for lots of input)

Ok guys as most of you have seen i'm getting into modifying flashlights and it was brought up that i should start looking at better headlight options for our bikes, i know theres a lot of lighting options out there already but i also know most of us don't want 2 big 8" HID's hanging off the front of our bikes. Havn't checked into much of the helmet lights but i was thinking i'd try to get into those too. So i ask you guys for your opinions:

What are you looking for in a headlight set up?

What are you looking for in a helmet light set up?

Thanks guys :cheers:

Ok guys as most of you have seen i'm getting into modifying flashlights and it was brought up that i should start looking at better headlight options for our bikes, i know theres a lot of lighting options out there already but i also know most of us don't want 2 big 8" HID's hanging off the front of our bikes. Havn't checked into much of the helmet lights but i was thinking i'd try to get into those too. So i ask you guys for your opinions:

What are you looking for in a headlight set up?

What are you looking for in a helmet light set up?

Thanks guys :cheers:

In a headlight- obviously something that isn't ugly(like the acerbis cyclops IMO)

Something that is way brighter than stock but still uses as much or less power(LED's anyone?)

In a helmet light- something that won't move with the bumps that gets thrown at it(you'd probably just need to rubberize the band like on goggles)

obviously fairly high output but light, cause it's not fun putting something super heavy on your head after already wearing a helmet.

good battery life(again a LED sounds good here too). either rechargeable batteries or AA. I like rechargeable's because overall(over time) they are cheaper but AA's are nice when you run out of power and don't have the time to or just can't charge.

I think it would be cool to be able to hook your light into your bikes wiring(like a quick connect either near your steering stem or right behind the seat so it don't get in your away) that way you won't have to worry about battery life

And obviously they should be water and shock proof and having multiple modes is nice too(high>medium>low)

So Palmer looking at your setup that was a direct drop in? I'm thinking about making a kit that will drop into all the stock headlight housings since most people don't like the looks of aftermarket set ups... Probably just one spot in the middle with a flood on either side

So Palmer looking at your setup that was a direct drop in? I'm thinking about making a kit that will drop into all the stock headlight housings since most people don't like the looks of aftermarket set ups... Probably just one spot in the middle with a flood on either side

I think that would be sweet!

I'd look into making a actual headlight too though because some people either don't have one or have an not so pretty one(kdx's:cry:)

There should be some new LED lights coming down the pike as about six months ago a new better LED came out. I think it's been delayed a bit because only in the last month or so have optics designed for it become available. It's only an incremental improvement. Nothing game changing. It's just 20% or so more efficient and less expensive.

The least expensive way to a lot of light on your bike is still the HID conversion. The main requirement is DC power and there are HID 's for almost every bulb type now. I see it as a no brainer because it's all of $40 to $50 and you two of them. It's the least expensive path to better light. The improvement is amazing.

Even though LED's have are getting better and better every year, I think that the HID helmet lights still have an edge for desert riding. They just focus so much better. For the woods though, it's a different requirement. LED's do better there.

The least expensive way to a lot of light on your bike is still the HID conversion. The main requirement is DC power and there are HID 's for almost every bulb type now. I see it as a no brainer because it's all of $40 to $50 and you two of them. It's the least expensive path to better light. The improvement is amazing.
This is the way I went and it is a huge improvement. The only problem I have is that I never ride at night but if I do at least I know I have a bright light and the thing will not be broken like the POS bulb that came stock.

This is the way I went and it is a huge improvement. The only problem I have is that I never ride at night but if I do at least I know I have a bright light and the thing will not be broken like the POS bulb that came stock.

I think it's a worthy upgrade even if you don't intend to night ride. Things can happen that cause you to not make it back before dark.