Beginner 450?

So I’m 18 years old, 6”1 200 pounds. Haven’t ridden a dirt bike since I was like 12 or 13 with a 150R. Planning on taking the bike to glamis after some practice. Looking to spend 3-4k, needs to be reliable, low maintenance. Is 450 too much power to start with? But then will a smaller bike have enough power in the sand? Is a 2 stroke a bad idea for a newer rider in the sand?

you will probably be fine on a 450. The ones worth owning (reliability) come from Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM/Husky
A 2 stroke is a fine idea, you're riding sand dunes, its not like its erzberg

So I’m 18 years old, 6”1 200 pounds. Haven’t ridden a dirt bike since I was like 12 or 13 with a 150R. Planning on taking the bike to glamis after some practice. Looking to spend 3-4k, needs to be reliable, low maintenance. Is 450 too much power to start with? But then will a smaller bike have enough power in the sand? Is a 2 stroke a bad idea for a newer rider in the sand?
If you have the ability to ride a bike than the 450 would be good power plant to do Glamis. I don't think a 250 2 stroke will be enough for your weight geared up.

Reliability is all about how you maintain it. Regular oil changes, and air filter maintenance along keeping valves in check.

Come look at what I got for you in Silverado. 3) 450's to chose from. 1) 2005 CRF450R I just rebuilt the entire engine top and bottom less than 30 hours ago, still need original owner to cough up the pink (he's LAPD) so not to big of a deal. 1) 2006 CRF450R with about 100 hours on it, still in excellent condition w/pink on hand. 1) 2006 KXF 450 with just over 100 hours total W/pink slip. All bikes right around 2300 OBO, and all bikes in good-great condition. Only bike in CL is the 06 CRFR
Also have an extra rear for the Honda's.

Agree with the 450 but not the '05-'06 of any flavor
Pony up the extra $ an get '09 or newer. At least around here that's easy enough to do.

Have you read reviews of the 09 450 hondas John? They are worse than th 05 or the 06. (I said HONDA)

That being said, with cash, I would get the YZ450 in 13-15 trim. That's one hell of a good bike.