anyone know what these small dots in the screws mean??

not sure what these dots actually mean. they aren't in the centre of the screw, it is at the top above the teeth....
im sure they have to indicate something??
just curious anyway. you'll see it on the left side in the picture.

2014_06_26_23_47_51.jpg

they usually relate to the hardness of the screw or bolt... other marks include lines and dashes that also relate to the hardness of bolts and which way the thread turns.

it is hard to tell what marking is on that screw head from the pic. the only ones I have seen with a single marking on them like that were used as an idexing point and were usually a specialty screw marked just for that. since it is not to common to use a a torque wrench on a phillps head screw (as opposed to bolts with six or eight sides) the procedure was to turn the screw down until contact with the retained surface is met and then go a set about 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 past that to obtain the necessary torque. the same applied to the hex head bolts in some cases as enough people in the field seemed to know that it took so many of them radial lines on some bolts to create the desired torque once the surface of the bolt hit a solid surface. That happened so much that some manuals for proprietary machines and proprietary hardware started listing it in manuals.

it is hard to tell what marking is on that screw head from the pic. the only ones I have seen with a single marking on them like that were used as an idexing point and were usually a specialty screw marked just for that. since it is not to common to use a a torque wrench on a phillps head screw (as opposed to bolts with six or eight sides) the procedure was to turn the screw down until contact with the retained surface is met and then go a set about 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 past that to obtain the necessary torque. the same applied to the hex head bolts in some cases as enough people in the field seemed to know that it took so many of them radial lines on some bolts to create the desired torque once the surface of the bolt hit a solid surface. That happened so much that some manuals for proprietary machines and proprietary hardware started listing it in manuals.

That's good info right there. :thumb:
Sounds very army like.... Motor pool I presume?