Other Any nice XLR bikes out there?

I have this project xl600. Seems this man near me had one that is carrying a 1982 stamp on the steering head. first batch to get here. Less than 5k on it, he was having hot start problems with it. Takes it to the local dealer, they tell him it is worn out and he needs a complete top end overhaul. So he takes it apart, and decides he cant get it back together. In the meantime he buys a piston and gets the cylinder bored. He wanted to dump it when he decided the job was too big. I offered help, and he says what I really want is 250 dollars. So that is what he got. This right after he told me it would drool gas and not start after he would park it for a few minutes, but if started cold it started fine and fast, he just couldnt shut it off anywhere without planning to stay for a couple of hours. He rode it past my house enough that i knew that it did run. I took it home and put it back together. Set the float. Dual carb single float. Started fine. Back apart now, it is going to become a street tracker. Gone will be the single shock. The front forks will be from a 600 yamaha street bike. Going to build a single port head for it. Then some barnes 19's i have sitting around in numbers.

I have this project xl600. Seems this man near me had one that is carrying a 1982 stamp on the steering head. first batch to get here. Less than 5k on it, he was having hot start problems with it. Takes it to the local dealer, they tell him it is worn out and he needs a complete top end overhaul. So he takes it apart, and decides he cant get it back together. In the meantime he buys a piston and gets the cylinder bored. He wanted to dump it when he decided the job was too big. I offered help, and he says what I really want is 250 dollars. So that is what he got. This right after he told me it would drool gas and not start after he would park it for a few minutes, but if started cold it started fine and fast, he just couldnt shut it off anywhere without planning to stay for a couple of hours. He rode it past my house enough that i knew that it did run. I took it home and put it back together. Set the float. Dual carb single float. Started fine. Back apart now, it is going to become a street tracker. Gone will be the single shock. The front forks will be from a 600 yamaha street bike. Going to build a single port head for it. Then some barnes 19's i have sitting around in numbers.
Hey Andy, that sounds cooooool :thumb: got any early pics yet?

I will roll it out if the shed before too long. Then haul it to a different shop and start:-). I will post some pics then. Thanks for asking.