Ambitious trip!

Me and a buddy are thinking about going to uruguay. I suggested we dirtbike from edmonton alberta. Im basically trying to get a list of stuff u should bring stuff you shouldnt. What kind of bike would handle the journey the best and ultimately if its do able. Putting drug cartel and other dangers like that aside, of course.

SRAD97750

Staff member
For the long road down I have to suggest a XR650 or other 600+cc monster. They cruise on the highway all day and can do some off-roading with the proper tires. There will obviously need to be a compromise, as a smaller bike will do better off road, but terrible on the highway (Where you will be 99% of the trip).

The major road block you'll find is country boundaries. You have a minimum of 13 border crossings to overcome (one way). Some of them quite dangerous countries for 'whitey' to travel in. I imagine, the borders are where most of the trouble will be.

Bring multiple GPS devices and prepare to easily spend 2-3 times what you budget for the trip. Sounds like quite the endeavor. I look forward to what you decide to do! Keep us posted. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I would definately bring some tools, tire pump, bolt assortment, cable ties,inner tubes, spark plugs, a spare master link, and probably some ibuprofen also. Oh yeah....don't forget the ding dongs, gotta have the ding dongs.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Essentials I would add for basic survival on a trip like this:
  1. Satellite phones
  2. I would master (not just learn) how to actually navigate via gps alone, using way point tracking.
  3. Learn how to speak basic Spanish. Trust me, Canadians have no chance of understanding Spanish spoken to them. So don't try.:smirk:
  4. Bump your budget X10 and figure out how to hide it effectively. You ARE underestimating the number of times you will have to pay some asshole off. Not cartels, not criminals... you need to be afraid of the Policia and any Govt official. If they think you have any more cash on you, you're not leaving. This transaction can range from very friendly to gunpoint type of escalation. Mostly they will pretend they are waiting for "your papers to be verified", for a long time, just waiting for cash. Delay is their game.
  5. Estimated elapsed time X3. It will literally take half a year minimum to complete this trip.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now. -Goethe