Am I too big for a 2008 Yamaha TTR125?

I am 5'6" 135lbs athletic build and I am wondering if a Yamaha TTR125 is too small for me. I have never ridden a dirt bike and I can pick one up for $500. I don't plan on racing just trail riding in the summer and I plan to purchase a new bike in a year or two. Would this be an okay bike to start with for $500 and using every now and then. Also can you buy bigger coils or a lift kit for the bike?

They make kits to make them "adult friendly". They are fun for anyone. you can go about as far as you want in spending money with them. google some ttr stuff and see what I mean. Bought for 500 dollars in good shape (especially if it has the disk brake) you can ride it a few months and sell it for at least that much if you have some patience and dont thrash it. then decide if you want to stay on a slow reliable trail bike or buy something more race oriented. about the time school gets out is a good time to sell a kid's bike.

I have an xr100 and a couple of yz 80/85's. getting "small" can be fun. Some areas they are the ticket and as was pointed out the beginners and buddies to follow you will fit right on. Making a fool out if yourself is more fun with company. Besides. Once you move up you can loan that bike to make sure there is someone in the group you can beat.

I say get the bike, as you are new to riding, a good bike to start and only 500.00, you don't want to spend a lot of $$$ on something you might not like or do a lot........Or you can get a Honda.......lol

They make kits to make them "adult friendly". They are fun for anyone. you can go about as far as you want in spending money with them. google some ttr stuff and see what I mean. Bought for 500 dollars in good shape (especially if it has the disk brake) you can ride it a few months and sell it for at least that much if you have some patience and dont thrash it. then decide if you want to stay on a slow reliable trail bike or buy something more race oriented. about the time school gets out is a good time to sell a kid's bike.

OSSA, you are so right about the timing of selling a bike....

Like selling a horse... mid spring - beginning of summer when it's nice and warm outside the girls go on a horse buying frenzy in my neck of the woods.

If you've never ridden before, a ttr125 is alright for 500 bucks. I did the same thing more or less - first I bought an 86 xr100, then a 2001 xr200 and I just picked up a 2005 WR250F. I still have the xrs, they're good to get friends riding with you.