Alternator vs Generator............

I do not know the difference. I was at avw bug show and a guy was saying the motor was on a "generator" but could easily be switched to an "alternator"

What's the difference? And why would you want a 69 Bug on one or the other?

Altenators are lighter, more efficent, and more dependable. If you're going for a true restore though, I believe a 69 bug would have a generator.

Generator runs brushes and when they wear down, you are only running on the battery juice. I can't remember but I believe the bug runs off the battery and the gen charges it as with an alternator you can pull the battery when the bug is running and it will still run.

Generator - brushes, commutator converts to dc output, old school, good only for exact restoration.
Alternator - brushless, diodes converts ac to dc power, much better than generator.
Kind of like points distributor vs electronic ignition, an 009 is the top of the line points distributor for a VW, any electronic distributor is way better and lot less maintenance.

Altenators are lighter, more efficent, and more dependable. If you're going for a true restore though, I believe a 69 bug would have a generator.

Correct, the 69 came stock with a generator. There will be some modifications to the bug and this may be one of them.

Generator runs brushes and when they wear down, you are only running on the battery juice. I can't remember but I believe the bug runs off the battery and the gen charges it as with an alternator you can pull the battery when the bug is running and it will still run.

Generator - brushes, commutator converts to dc output, old school, good only for exact restoration.
Alternator - brushless, diodes converts ac to dc power, much better than generator.
Kind of like points distributor vs electronic ignition, an 009 is the top of the line points distributor for a VW, any electronic distributor is way better and lot less maintenance.

:thumb: As we progress with this project I will get more details on Alt vs Gen and make a decision when the time comes.

I have the same thing going through my head. To change over to the Alt I have to buy the stand, strap and change a little wireing. Should I or should I stay stock? I have NEVER had a problem with my genny and she is still in great condition. This is where I have been stuck and have not put the finishin touches to the motor on my bus. :banghead:

I have the same thing going through my head. To change over to the Alt I have to buy the stand, strap and change a little wireing. Should I or should I stay stock? I have NEVER had a problem with my genny and she is still in great condition. This is where I have been stuck and have not put the finishin touches to the motor on my bus. :banghead:
My 66 had the brushes worn down enough that I was running on battery power and that was going to crap. I was coming home from the valley from working nights and by the time I was almost home, I would have to turn off the lights to get more juice from the batt or my car would start misfiring. Popped in some new brushes the next day and BLAM! Al was good again.

The biggest advantage to an alternator over a generator besides the brushes is a alternator puts out about twice the amperage as a generator. The stock VW generator puts out 30 amps and a stock VW alternator puts out 55-60 amps and you can get them all the way up to 95 amps. If your planning on running any accessories, stereo fog lights etc an alternator is the way to go unless you are doing a period correct resto.

I used to drive up to Yosemite and camp for 4 days, use the radio, water pump for sink, interior lights and a little 12V heater, never start the bus once during the camp and it would fire right up at the end no problem. So I have era correctness anxiety for my camper. I even run stock exhaust. Only change is the 09 distributor.