Air filters, what do you use to clean them?

k&n air filter cleaner,they sell it in refillable containers.i spray it on ,let set 10 minutes,the rinse out the junk,it says it biodegradeble too.

+1 just started using k&n on my foam air filters too and it works great. To store your guys pre-oiled filters, you guys leave them in a sealed plastic bag right? I bought a preoiled twin air filter and the bag had breathing holes in it allowing in air. Is that normal? I figure our air filters in our bikes are exposed but all the other no toil pre oiled filters I bought had completely sealed bags :confused:

+1 just started using k&n on my foam air filters too and it works great. To store your guys pre-oiled filters, you guys leave them in a sealed plastic bag right? I bought a preoiled twin air filter and the bag had breathing holes in it allowing in air. Is that normal? I figure our air filters in our bikes are exposed but all the other no toil pre oiled filters I bought had completely sealed bags :confused:
I only need one filter. I clean it, oil it, and run grease around the rim of it all in about 5 minutes. No need to store one... :noidea:

You guys run air filters in your bikes? :shocked:

All kidding aside, I use to use gas on my filters for years with no issues. I currently use the No Toil cleaner and it works great mixed in warm water. I then watched the Uni Filter cleaner in action at the DS ride last week. Spray on filter, massage in and rinse through water. Worked great.

Ditto as CDA, except the last DS part. I like the No Toil, but it does eat up the glue that holds the filter together, at least that's what I'm thinking, because I never had a problem with the filters coming apart with the old gas method.

Ditto as CDA, except the last DS part. I like the No Toil, but it does eat up the glue that holds the filter together, at least that's what I'm thinking, because I never had a problem with the filters coming apart with the old gas method.

Yes I used gas for years on my filters and only recently switched to the no toil cleaner. I have not heard of the No toil breaking down the glue on the filter and that does make me :thinking:.

Kero. As it's oil based it doesn't eat into yer filter like gasoline does.
been using gas on the same filter for two years, no deterioration as of yet:noidea: I rinse it out in a small bucket and the only thing left in the bucket is dirt. No foam particles that I have ever seen. That is why I still use the same filter. Still looks like the day I bought it. Why replace it if it still looks new.

been using gas on the same filter for two years, no deterioration as of yet:noidea: I rinse it out in a small bucket and the only thing left in the bucket is dirt. No foam particles that I have ever seen. That is why I still use the same filter. Still looks like the day I bought it. Why replace it if it still looks new.

Riding conditions and frequency will need to be considered as well.

Yeah fair enough, i used diesel for a while. Works bloody well. :thumb:

mineral spirits, paint thinner, foam filter cleaner, gasoline, kerosene.... they all work... The filter cleaner is usually just mineral spirits rebottled and about 4% of the price....
Now use Dawn as it also has chemical properties that break down oil, just be sure to rinse thoroughly...