Air filter oil preferences

whatever Silkolene sends me...
Spray cans are convenient and I just dump the bottles into a spray container any way...
I dont like soaked filters just enough to make it tacki

I use the actual oil, i like to know its perfectly oiled. I use no-toil oil and love it, however i just bought one of their filters and was disappointed with it

I use K&N cleaner and oil...Because i always have it at the house and i can pick it up at auto parts places...

And yeah.. I don't really think i like the No-toil filters on my RM.. Seemed to rob some power compared to my other UNI and Twin-air... Might just be all in my head...... But the KLX no toil filter seems good.

James

Staff member
Bottle or aerosol. What brands do you like best?
Bottle/oil.

I recently got some Twin Air products and while their filters are excellent, not really a fan of the oil. Gave me an instant headache and it seems to take more oil to oil a filter (aka more $$$). Not saying it's a bad oil as it held up very well, my filter was caked on the outside and spotless on the inside. :thumb:

I'm planning on switching back to the No Toil oil, unsure on the red/green though, both work great.
I use the actual oil, i like to know its perfectly oiled. I use no-toil oil and love it, however i just bought one of their filters and was disappointed with it
Check out Twin Air filters.

My 05 kx250f No Toil filter didn't line up right and I ended up tearing the hole that the air screw/bolt goes through. My Twin Air filter matched the OEM exactly, plus they also have a rubber insert that goes around the air screw/bolt hole to prevent tearing. :thumb:

I have used K & N spray before but lately I simply use good old motor oil. It is easy to get evenly distributed and then wring out the excess. I have used this method for many years and it always gets all the dirt. I also never use gasoline to clean the foam elements.

I have used K & N spray before but lately I simply use good old motor oil. It is easy to get evenly distributed and then wring out the excess. I have used this method for many years and it always gets all the dirt. I also never use gasoline to clean the foam elements.

I was almost there with ya 530... I use gas ... not soaked in it, just enough to help remove the grunge and I too use motor oil....the thinnest possible. pout it into my hand, rub it between my hands then wipe it on the filter. Never had a failure yet and YES this was back when I rode a lot! :P

Bottle/oil.

I recently got some Twin Air products and while their filters are excellent, not really a fan of the oil. Gave me an instant headache and it seems to take more oil to oil a filter (aka more $$$). Not saying it's a bad oil as it held up very well, my filter was caked on the outside and spotless on the inside. :thumb:

I'm planning on switching back to the No Toil oil, unsure on the red/green though, both work great.

Check out Twin Air filters.

My 05 kx250f No Toil filter didn't line up right and I ended up tearing the hole that the air screw/bolt goes through. My Twin Air filter matched the OEM exactly, plus they also have a rubber insert that goes around the air screw/bolt hole to prevent tearing. :thumb:

I have a twin air on there now, i just bought the no-toil as a second. Thats probably why i don't like the no-toil :smirk:. I had the same problems with it no lineing up

Clean it= I use gas, rinsed all the way and submerged, wring it out, and rinse in simple green or big orange and water, wring out and rinse in water only until clean, wring out let dry.

Oil it= aerosol Bell Ray, or I have a bottle and put it in my sprayer that takes compressed air, evenly coated and then installed. Or I get whats on sale and buy 5 or so cans at a time.

I've been running NoToil, I like it, not to open up a can of worms but the cleaner does a good job with it. It's convenient for me, and fast. Use the alcohol based stuff though.