After Market Rims and Spokes.

Do you feel the need that you must buy aftermarket rims and spokes? I have never had issues with my spokes except rounding off. I prefer not to do anything with them. I do not like the fact that I can clearly see the spot where my rim comes together. It makes my say that is a week rim. :noidea: I have never noticed it so clearly before on any of my other bikes. Please tell me what you think. Should I be worried that my rim is on the verge of splitting?

The desert will beat up a rim quick when slamming off rocks and gnarly g outs. With that being said, I never changed wheels back in the day as the stock wheels where pretty strong. Today's rims are weeker and I have replaced my wheels on my bikes, but keep a set of stockers for spares. Sold off the others. I have a set of Warp 9s on one bike and A60s laced around Kite hubs on the other. Both have given me great performance. I did put a dinger in my front Warp 9, but I should have been on my head after hitting the hidden rock that hard and fast. Stock rim would have cracked.

Should I be concerned with the rim on the back of my bike? So the Warp 9s live up to the quality they claim to sell. ?
Not sure if you should be concerned. I would just ride it. Warp 9s do have a good quality. You can send the wheel back to them for like $60 and they will fix anything. I looked into the DNA wheels and my buddy told me I would destroy those wheels.

Don't you have DIDs on the five hundo or is it Excel?

Not sure if you should be concerned. I would just ride it. Warp 9s do have a good quality. You can send the wheel back to them for like $60 and they will fix anything. I looked into the DNA wheels and my buddy told me I would destroy those wheels.

Don't you have DIDs on the five hundo or is it Excel?
Sounds good. Thanks.

OEM honda rims are among the softest out there, but they are also just about the lightest, for the type of riding I do they aren't tough enough, I'm working on purchasing a set of Excels.

Should I be concerned with the rim on the back of my bike? So the Warp 9s live up to the quality they claim to sell. ?

Every rim that I've had ends up cracking at the seam. Stock or aftermarket. By the time the cracking starts the rim has been beaten up pretty bad and resembles a stop sign more than wheel. The crack will start at the edge of the rim and run down the lip. It never seems to move very fast and I will get several more rides out of that wheel before I replace it. Once the crack starts getting close to turning the corner and running across the rim is when I get scared and replace it. If I were you, I would just ride it and not even think about it.:ride:

I got a wide rim for an ice racer from Sun years ago. It had a seam and a wobble in it out of the box. I sent a pic and they sent me a new one.

The CR rims we have were DID, and those bent more easily than the excels on the yamaha. They also had some spoke size issues too if you wanted stronger spokes at one time. The new DID is suposedly much stronger than the older ones.

I am not in total agreement with the newer rims being weaker. The suspensions we have now are a lot easier to hit things a lot harder with. I have enough old ones and newer cr rims I guess I could put a fork on my torque meter and see how much harder they are to bend.

+1 on what Rolls had to say. Ride it until there is a problem and then worry about replacing it.

I put a *lot* of miles on my ole XR600. It had aftermarket Excel rims that I put through many tens of thousands of punishing miles. They are still crack free, but no longer perfectly round.

:prof:
I never broke a rim, never cracked a rim, never busted a hub and never busted a spoke. I also never bought aftermarket hubs or wheels...

I have found broken nipples or missing nipples but I always replaced them immediately and I used blue Loctite. I also make sure all of my spokes are always torqued and my wheel is somewhat true....

wow.... wheel sets are an outrageous amount of money...wtf?
(I figured I check since I just jinxed myself)

I never broke a rim, never cracked a rim, never busted a hub and never busted a spoke. I also never bought aftermarket hubs or wheels...

I have found broken nipples or missing nipples but I always replaced them immediately and I used blue Loctite. I also make sure all of my spokes are always torqued and my wheel is somewhat true....

he,he,he........you said nipple

Where you ride and how hard you ride make a big difference. High speed desert with lots of hidden rocks to bash into are really hard on rims. Groomed tracks and tight woods riding are not.

When I ride mud I generally run low tire pressures, the draw back to that is rim flats, and also have bent some rims,even in slow speed stuff. Don't think it matters where or how you ride, shit happens. That being said, if you have the time and patience straitening bent rims and adding spoke kits where needed (90$ average) is pretty cheep, even if you have to get another rim you can go to eBay and get a used one I'm not spending any where from 400-1200$ on new rim sets. But hey some guys like new blingy stuff.

Last edited: