250 Advice on WR250 clutch

Just got a 01 WR250. Bought it with a broken kick shaft.
Pulled it apart and replaced the kick assembly easily enough.
Had a brain fart reassembling.
Between the driven gear and the clutch basket is the thrust washer.
Does that sit in the valley between the two spline sections?
It looks like a lose fit.
The shop manual I got only has a picture of the entire assembly and doesn't even mention the washer.
OK, it's really late and I'm probably not thinking clearly.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome Brian :cheers:

Don't for get to start a thread in the introduction section and get some pics of that WR up :D

Will this help you any at all?

Thank you for the diagram.
I don't have a ball bearing (#22) between the 2 push rods(assy #18-21 and #23) . I have the placement sequence, but there looks to be around 3/16" between the driven gear(#4) and the kick gear when assembled. I didn't take a picture when I started, dumb move.
After setting the kick assy the #4 didn't want to seat. I had to slide the kicker on and turn the crank to move the oil pump drive gear and kick idle gear to mesh with #4 to get the last 1/2".

The thrust washer(#5) sits on the crank between #4 and #6. The crank has a spline for about 3/4", then a short no spline, then a spline section.
1st spline section is where the the friction plates ride, 2nd section is where the clutch housing with the driven gear rides.
The thrust washer has internal spline groves. When the #4 is seated there is no room for the washer to sit on any spline section.
I'm just not sure if that's normal.

On another note, where in Washington are you?
Just north of Seattle.
You?

I went to a Yamaha dealer today and had a chance to discuss the assembly process.
It's surprising the shop manual would omit a pretty important procedure like making sure to mesh the gears with a long screwdriver.
Maybe it's so people would give up and take their bike to the shop.

This. :thumb:

BTW welcome to DBA, Brian.
Thank You.

I joined two bike forums, the other is a bust.

I appreciate the maturity offered here.

Wouldn't mind meeting other dirt or dual sport riders either.

Am setting up the 250, and another WR400 for my sons. I have a DR650.

The next issue to going to be upgrading the electrical system to run a lighting kit.

Thank You.

I joined two bike forums, the other is a bust.

I appreciate the maturity offered here.

Wouldn't mind meeting other dirt or dual sport riders either.

Am setting up the 250, and another WR400 for my sons. I have a DR650.

The next issue to going to be upgrading the electrical system to run a lighting kit.

I ride a dual sport. I ride woods, roads, fireroads, singletrack, dunes, dez, mountains, anything.
Im in port orchard

If I may, what was the other forum and how did you find us?

In full disclosure, we try to keep these types of threads (bike questions) on topic and mature. However the Off Topic, Regional sections, and chat tend to be more lighthearted. :thumb:

OK, if you must know.. it was thumpertalk, or something like that.
I am a regular on other different topic forums, I absolutely appreciate all the work the mods do to keep a forum running, and have complete respect for ALL human life.
That being said, I abhor pretense. Arrogance is only a cover for something much worse.
I do not buy into the "intellectually aloof" posture.
In at least 4 years of moderate forum usage I have not had a conflict with a mod until yesterday.
Enough said.

I did a dirt bike search to find you guys.

Got the bike running too.:banana: Looks like a mud ride weekend.

OK, if you must know.. it was thumpertalk, or something like that.
I am a regular on other different topic forums, I absolutely appreciate all the work the mods do to keep a forum running, and have complete respect for ALL human life.
That being said, I abhor pretense. Arrogance is only a cover for something much worse.
I do not buy into the "intellectually aloof" posture.
In at least 4 years of moderate forum usage I have not had a conflict with a mod until yesterday.
Enough said.

I did a dirt bike search to find you guys.

Got the bike running too.:banana: Looks like a mud ride weekend.

I had to google half of those big words you just said, but we are glad to have you :) :cheers: