'99 YZ125 Needs some Lovin

My graduation present was my brothers old '99 YZ125; which hasn't run in a couple years, roughly 3.

Upon taking off the head & jug, a piece of the piston broke off, slapped around in the cylinder, scarred the cylinder wall once and melted into the piston fusing the piston and ring as one in a battle of tranquility.

My question; what would be more cost effective? I don't want to cut corners, but the bike isn't worth dumping too much into.

A new OEM cylinder alone is $350 from BikeBandit, given I can reuse all old power valve components.

Scour over eBay & CL to find a used non-damaged cylinder from a running bike as I did for my YZ80.

OR does anyone have any recommendations on places to send it to have it replated/sleeved/whatever-else-there-is?

if anyone has an engine or cylinder, let me know!

Bouncin' around
image.jpg

The Culprit
image.jpg

Homewrecker
image.jpg

image.jpg

Piston:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vertex-Top-...:1999|Model:YZ125&hash=item2c9c78f5a9&vxp=mtr
Vertex from ebay 109.00
Jug Re-plate: http://www.langcourt.com/
Langcourt.com 180.00 with shipping both ways
Head:
Clean it up yourself or take it to a machine shop and have it machined. Free yourself, or 25.00 most at a shop.

Get the piston first, send it in with jug. Or, you can send jug in to Langcourt and they will supply the piston of many choices, a little more $$ but no hassle of having to order both.

I just finished a 01/125.

Last edited:
That bike has a lot of potential! You could ditch this bike and drop 1200 on another running 99 yz125 or you could put a couple hundred into this bike and have something better. Not to mention how bad ass of a bike it would be if you were to put 1200 into it :panic: It's definitely worth "dumping" cash into. If I had the money and that bike laying around I'd tear it apart and rebuild it from the wheels up.

I have a 99 that came to me similarly. I decided not to try to use the 99 cylinder. They were hot, but break at the exhaust bridge. Good time to find a 2001 or newer cylinder and get a144 kit built. I like them way better than the 125.

I forgot to mention: don't let anyone convince you that there is a pipe or silencer that is worth spending on if you have useable stockers.

Last edited:
I have a 99 that came to me similarly. I decided not to try to use the 99 cylinder. They were hot, but break at the exhaust bridge. Good time to find a 2001 or newer cylinder and get a144 kit built. I like them way better than the 125.

I forgot to mention: don't let anyone convince you that there is a pipe or silencer that is worth spending on if you have useable stockers.

Lies and slander.... There is nowayinhell you graduated in 99.... Or later.....:smirk: