RM125 94 RM 125 ignition problems

I'm working on a 94 rm 125 for a friend. The stator on it cooked awhile back and I replaced that. Now i think the stator may have taken the cdi with it. I have power being produced from the stator going to the cdi. The coil isn't getting anything out of the cdi though. Is there a way to test this cdi or should I look at a different part? I'm at a loss as to what the next step is and don't want to throw expensive parts at it it doesn't need.

SRAD97750

Staff member
You need to find out if you are getting trigger signal from the stator/signal generator. The wire that goes from the stator to the CDI should be tested.
It is a pulse and only measurable with an alternating direct current voltage meter. Set your multimeter to the ADC setting and kick it over through a full kick or two. It should read somewhere around .5 volts ADC.
This wire should also have ohmic resistance to ground. So set your multimeter to the upside down horseshoe (resistance) and test to ground. Should read a low number, but not 0 or ~.

Post your findings... -BIG DAN

I have about .4 coming out of the two stator wires. The resistance between the two wires coming from the coil trigger is about 98 ohms and fluctuates when kicked over. There is no voltage coming out of the cdi to the trigger and still nothing coming to the coil.

I have about .4 coming out of the two stator wires. The resistance between the two wires coming from the coil trigger is about 98 ohms and fluctuates when kicked over. There is no voltage coming out of the cdi to the trigger and still nothing coming to the coil.
sounds like a dead cdi...is it the red/white wire? my 02 had a broken red/wht wire

My red/white wire has very high resistance (in the MegaOhm range). Did you end up needing to replace the CDI? I have tried three CDI boxes and they all had this high reading on the red and white wire.