2 Stroke 84' cr250r won't start after riding

Just bought a 84' cr250r. Won't start after riding. Even a ten minute ride. It will push start though. It has to sit at least half hour before kick starts again. The guy I bought it from told me the bike will run better when it cools down outside. Been in the 90's here in Michigan. About 2 hours on rebuild. Changed plug from a 7 to an 8. Carb was cleaned during rebuild (keihen pwk). I'm a newbie to working on these bikes. Any thoughts!?!?

No receipt, he seemed like a good guy. Told me to call him if I needed anything. He did tell me the bike would run better when it cools down outside though

Hmmm i would discard everything he said about the fresh rebuild without receipts proving the work was done and if it runs better after cooling down outside then chances are its needing a top end inspection to see if he lied!
How does the compression feel to you when trying to kick it hot vs cold? Do you have tools and or much mechanical knowledge of bikes or have a local biking friend who can help you figure it out?

I dont think running too rich wouldn't explain the difficult hot starting vs cold
I'm no mechanic and there are way more experienced riders /owners on here than me that could help so be patient Larry and someone else will no doubt chip in with some other possibilities for you! @ossagp @SRAD97750 @PALMER84ONE @Mihylo33 to name a few

Last edited:
Stick up some pics of your ride if you have any as we all love pics here!
I do love an old red rider too and a couple of years ago had a little rare 1984 CR50RE!