4th gear quits

K so i was in fourth gear on my 94 kx80 and it was only wide open for no more than a second. It stopped and i started skidding, now wont start, after pushing it home. Anyone know anything about this?

Will the engine kick over?
Does it still have compression?
When was the last top end done on the engine?
Do you have good spark?
Was the fuel mix fresh?

Paw Paw

Explain the "cracking sound"......
Like metal contacting metal?
Like a bearing going bad?
Like a flywheel hitting the stator?
Does the engine kick over smooth or is it rough?
What does the spark plug look like?

I noticed that your previous post that you had a bad shifter and you also had to pull the clutch. If you did that work, are you sure you have it back together correctly? It is still together? I think I would retrace that work before starting on something new as your issue may be in the previous work done.
Did you get the service manual?

Paw Paw

Last edited:
I realized its just air in the exhaust after kicking it a bunch. I used the manual and put the new shift shaft rod in precisely, as far as i know i put it together the exact way the manual tells you to. Spark is tan colour and very good conditon. Im still trying to think as to why it wont start. Overheated possibly?

Ok, it takes three things to make an engine start and run.....
Spark ( Bright Blue in color)
Fuel getting to the engine
Compression
If you don't have any one of these it will not start or run.

Paw Paw

Then do a compression test.. I bet it is a top end fried. The compression test will tell you without having to take it apart.
Also you can remove the exhaust pipe and look up into the exhaust port on the cylinder.
Do you see scratches on the piston?
Is there Black below the rings?
If yes to either, you will need to tear it down.

Paw Paw

lots of bikes seize on fresh pistons. that sometimes comes from people who leaned them out as they wore out to keep them from fouling. then a new piston goes in, compression comes up and they seize. they even seize on factory settings too. leaks during reassembly (dont bore anyone with who or how it was done so expertly that it couldnt be the problem) are another reason they seize early after a rebuild. anyway, sounds like that one is coming back apart to me.