220 Electrical Question

James

Staff member
All I can tell you is that the red and black are your hot/pos wires. Didn't instructions come with the recept?

All I can tell you is that the red and black are your hot/pos wires. Didn't instructions come with the recept?
Well now that you mention it..... Had to tear the box open and find my readers :picard:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364081993.890447.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364082032.640569.jpg

So I guess it doesn't matter where the red or black go. :noidea:

James

Staff member
No clue. I just picked this compressor up from an old guy in my office.

View attachment 14005

He had it set up with a "dryer" plug so I rolled with that too.
3 is probably what you need then. Someone else can probably confrim (or correct) this but I'm thinking it's the dryers etc that need the 4 wire as they need both 125 and 220. :noidea:

3 is probably what you need then. Someone else can probably confrim (or correct) this but I'm thinking it's the dryers etc that need the 4 wire as they need both 125 and 220. :noidea:

Well it's plugged in and running. No fire yet. :fingers crossed:

The 4 wire is so you have the white neutral and a green safety ground. The white and the green both connect to the metal of the main electrical box and are both connected to the ground rod. Is it code? Probably not. Would I have done the same as Rack did? Yes I would.

James

Staff member
The 4 wire is so you have the white neutral and a green safety ground. The white and the green both connect to the metal of the main electrical box and are both connected to the ground rod. Is it code? Probably not. Would I have done the same as Rack did? Yes I would.
From what I read the the 4 wire is so that the appliance can pull both 120 and 240 at the same time. A neutral (white) is needed for 120.