2015 YZ250 vs. 2015 KTM 250SX

The first thing I'd like to mention is that I've been a Yamaha guy since the day I started riding. All five of my machines are Yamaha's, four-wheelers as well as dirt bikes.

Early next year I am going to buy a brand new bike for the first time ever, and if I go the smoker route, I want to know what the KTM has on the YZ. If it weren't for the fact that KTM has been putting hard work into their new two-strokes every year, I'd take the YZ hands down; however, as much of a fan that I am of Yamaha, I am not oblivious to other manufacturer's effort.

From what I've heard, the KTM is lightyears ahead of the Yamaha. However, there are other factors to put into play: being a Yamaha rider, will I feel out of place (handling wise) on the most unique machine of all the brands? The KTM is better tech-wise and speed-wise, but that doesn't mean that I'll necessarily be able to adapt to it as well. That being said, what if they don't feel that different? What if I can adapt just fine? Questions, questions.

Next, comes performance and features. I'd like to know the differences.

What do you think? Can a Yamaha rider adapt to a KTM machine, and what exactly does the KTM have on the Yamaha in terms of technology? Thank you, this may really influence my decision!

Last edited:
Ooo tough call. Yammi is a good machine but hasn't seen any changes since 07. The KTM however continues to be developed and is as close to a factory works machine anyone can get out of the box.

The KTM would probably be my choice and then throw the suspension at Factory Connection to get what I want out of the chassis.
Good luck.

Even though you've been with yamaha more or less exclusively, I think you would adapt pretty well. I have owned all the different brands (jap and ktm) and I've always settled down pretty quickly to each individual bike. I may not have been particularly fond of what some of my bikes had to offer, but my point is if you get either bike you will be feeling comfortable in a short time laying down laps or flipping it thru the trail. So just get what you feel is the best. And if it were me I'd go with KTM. I think Mike was right, except me personally I like to ride a new bike bone stock for a season, then start personalizing it with modifications.Choosing a new bike is fun, good luck.

Edit. By the way the KTM has the best binders period, nobody else can touch em.

Last edited: