2007 RM250 No 5th gear

Good morning all,

I bought an 07 RM250 (first dirt bike) about a month ago and I've been pouring my soul into getting her back to top running performance. Stuff I've done so far:
1. take all the panels off and clean off all the neglect from previous owner.
2. Carb clean and re build
3. Inspect clutch (found out it has a rekluse clutch)
4. All new vent lines and hoses
5. Fresh gas and oil
6. New air filter box seal and filter
7. New sprockets and chain
8. New clutch and throttle cable
9. Replaced brake pads
10. New exhaust O rings and repack
11. New fork seals

I'm probably missing some stuff, but anyways, she runs great, starts up fine. Compression is great. But the transmission is having some issues. I can shift through 1N234 no problems but 5th is non existent. No metal in the oil. I figure the only option is to take the motor out and inspect some stuff. I have been collecting tools here and there. But I'm looking for a good write up on what to inspect. The parts to replace everything add up quickly so I want to do it right. While I have the motor out. Is there anything I should replace while I'm there?
I will post tons of good pictures when I figure out where to start.

You should probably box it up and mail it directly to me. No return postage necessary. :smirk:

I’ve done this a few times on my 06 RM250.....by trying to take shortcuts.
You will have to split the cases and closely examine all of the cogs and then make sure all of the gear dogs are perfectly square. I’m betting 5th on the final drive is worn. Then every bearing, bushing circlip and spacer needs to be replaced or the 5th gear slip will reappear within a few rides.

You should probably box it up and mail it directly to me. No return postage necessary. :smirk:

I’ve done this a few times on my 06 RM250.....by trying to take shortcuts.
You will have to split the cases and closely examine all of the cogs and then make sure all of the gear dogs are perfectly square. I’m betting 5th on the final drive is worn. Then every bearing, bushing circlip and spacer needs to be replaced or the 5th gear slip will reappear within a few rides.
Lol, send me a brand new engine and transmission and we have a deal . I am currently waiting on tools to split the case and replace bearings. I have everything else except a parts list, which I'll be doing once I figure out what to replace. What kind of shortcuts did you take? I'm down to learn from others mistakes!

Lol, send me a brand new engine and transmission and we have a deal . I am currently waiting on tools to split the case and replace bearings. I have everything else except a parts list, which I'll be doing once I figure out what to replace. What kind of shortcuts did you take? I'm down to learn from others mistakes!

The first time I recomend doing it by the book and paying attention to all the details. After that you can start looking for shortcuts.

The first time I recomend doing it by the book and paying attention to all the details. After that you can start looking for shortcuts.
Of course, I'm not looking for shortcuts. Just wanting to avoid them. What should I order now before I split the case for inspection? I added everything for the transmission except for sprocket, gears, shafts and chain into a cart and it was pretty much $200 . Not including anything on the gear shifting section. Ive seen some say to also replace crankshaft bearings while I'm in there. Screenshot_20180221-214424.jpg Screenshot_20180221-214137.jpg Screenshot_20180221-214508.jpg Screenshot_20180221-214541.jpg

Of course, I'm not looking for shortcuts. Just wanting to avoid them. What should I order now before I split the case for inspection? I added everything for the transmission except for sprocket, gears, shafts and chain into a cart and it was pretty much $200 . Not including anything on the gear shifting section. Ive seen some say to also replace crankshaft bearings while I'm in there. View attachment 31562 View attachment 31563 View attachment 31564 View attachment 31565

Wear items such as a piston kit, is a given, but beyond that I wait until the inspection is done before I order my parts list. Some guys say they always replace all the bearings regardless, but I just replace what's needed. I personally haven't had any comebacks because of that.

Of course, I'm not looking for shortcuts. Just wanting to avoid them. What should I order now before I split the case for inspection? I added everything for the transmission except for sprocket, gears, shafts and chain into a cart and it was pretty much $200 . Not including anything on the gear shifting section. Ive seen some say to also replace crankshaft bearings while I'm in there. View attachment 31562 View attachment 31563 View attachment 31564 View attachment 31565

In the gear assembly I replace everything that isn’t a gear unless it has worn dogs. Worn dogs creat that missed gear feeling and they are usually worn because of all of the spacers, bushings and c-clips. The c clips are a one use item. Can not and should not be reused. I would suspect some worn shift forks in your shifting assembly pic. Other than that inspect for worn parts. The bearings there typically don’t go bad.
Yes, do the crank bearings while you are in there. Also a top end.

As steve and mike said replace what is needed. BUT, I never put a case back together with the old (crank) main bearings, or any of the old seals. Even a crank would probably be installed if it had any sign of wear. You are dealing with a over 11 yo without knowing actual hours. If it was me, and the bike is my primary runner, rebuild/replace ALL worn parts (may include trans bearings) but I would go by what the manual has for min tolerances.
The gears have doggs and windows that meet together and lock in. Any sign of rounding in thos parts and they are needing replacement.
First I would look at the shifter lever, pawls, segment, and look for any wear before splitting the case. YZ's have a weaker tranny than RM but there could alwys be an abused RM in the mix.
Good luck.

Idk what I did but 5th gear works now. Didn't do anything other then pull the clutch plates out for inspection and reseat the springs. The bike has a rekluse center clutch plate. I don't like it at all. The bike takes forever to wind down rpms on a sudden stop downshift. Also I am diagnosing a new problem. The bike is running high rpms when in 5th gear but I'm hardly going THAT fast. I constantly reach for a non existent 6th gear. Wonder if that rekluse clutch is sticking slightly. Any ideas?