250F 2007 CRF250X Problems

I have a CRF250X that seized up on a ride not too long ago, so the Old WR had to come to the rescue... again :smirk: . Any way we got it home and it sat for a bit while we decided on what to do. Finally we started in on it at the beginning of this month and found out that the piston rings were shot but everything else was fine. After the parts came in we put it all back together and went to crank it over, and a terrifying sound came from it... At the top of the stroke there is a loud clicking noise that I have never heard out of it before. We took the top cover off to see what was happaning but nothing was hitting and the valves were moving just fine. All the shims are in the right place im sure of it.

Any thoughts on what this is? any help would be much appreciated. thanks...:thumb:

Hard to say without hearing it, I'd check everything up top first again, including valve timing, and how the timing chain is running etc, but sometimes a bottom end problem can be misleading sounding like something in the top. Did you feel/check the bottom end while you had it pulled down.

Like I said a stab in the dark. Without hearing it or having hands on it's a guess. Keep us posted as you go hey!

Hard to say without hearing it, I'd check everything up top first again, including valve timing, and how the timing chain is running etc, but sometimes a bottom end problem can be misleading sounding like something in the top. Did you feel/check the bottom end while you had it pulled down.

Like I said a stab in the dark. Without hearing it or having hands on it's a guess. Keep us posted as you go hey!

I hope its not bottom end, but it clicked with the cover off and it sounded like it came right from the top end. But I dont know, right now I really dont want to touch it except maybe to drag it to the middle of the street and set it on fire :smirk:. but yeah ill let you know how things go with it, I hope its nothing to terribly bad.

I hope its not bottom end, but it clicked with the cover off and it sounded like it came right from the top end. But I dont know, right now I really dont want to touch it except maybe to drag it to the middle of the street and set it on fire :smirk:. but yeah ill let you know how things go with it, I hope its nothing to terribly bad.

Yeah the big question is why did it seize, usually rings if so badly worn to cause a seizure would score the bore and take out the piston, something like the piccie I'll post just below - this is a two stroke but you'll get an idea, fine dirt getting into the engine of WR/CRF's etc are causing ring and valve problems.

So damn hard when you cannot inspect something yourself, I use to fix bikes, cars, trucks and moved into other things, but still sometimes fix friends bikes, anyone with a CRF, either before or after 05, I recomend going stainless steel valves with the proper seats and guides, the WR's don't seem to have many problems, long as you keep the fine dust from getting into the engine, we call it bulls dust here in OZ, it's like talcum powder and stuffs everything.

Wish I could be more helpful.

223145_148480645234528_100002177816323_297254_2163750_n.jpg

wow, dust did all of that? man someone needs to do better air filter matnents
oh and is it posible that the noise can be coming from the electric starting motor? just an idea

oh and is it posible that the noise can be coming from the electric starting motor? just an idea

The electric start went out about a year ago, but it still kickstarted.

Yeah the big question is why did it seize, usually rings if so badly worn to cause a seizure would score the bore and take out the piston, something like the piccie I'll post just below - this is a two stroke but you'll get an idea, fine dirt getting into the engine of WR/CRF's etc are causing ring and valve problems.

So damn hard when you cannot inspect something yourself, I use to fix bikes, cars, trucks and moved into other things, but still sometimes fix friends bikes, anyone with a CRF, either before or after 05, I recomend going stainless steel valves with the proper seats and guides, the WR's don't seem to have many problems, long as you keep the fine dust from getting into the engine, we call it bulls dust here in OZ, it's like talcum powder and stuffs everything.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Oh no man, you just gave me an idea, so you were helpful. I think maybe when we were putting the cover back on something fell in there that we didint catch. I hope not but Ill have to check, and ill see if I can get a video up on here of the click and see if maybe that can help.

And by the way, WRs are amazing haha, just thought id throw that out there. :thumb:

Oh sorry Preston, should have stated I don't know what caused the 2 stroke to blow as it was a photo sent to me long ago to have a go at me about still owning 2 strokes, I think that one looks more like cooling failure, but whatever done it, it done a good job and stuffing the top end :).

sorry for the wait guys, I got caught up in work and other stuff so i forgot about everything really haha. Well I found out what the clicking noise is, its the auto decompression pin and its actually normal, thanks to a machanic friend at work I now know that. But the thing still wont start. so we decided on letting a pro look at it and see what he thinks. Luckily it doesnt cost anything to diagnose it so we can see if its anything we can do or we can just pay him. Thanks for all the help guys, and ill let you know what happens.