2001 rm 125 running too rich

i have a 2001 rm 125 with a bills pipe on it. it had stock jets 460 main and 27.5 pilot and i am all the way down to a 390 main and still getting some spooge dripping fron my silencer. i went out on the air screw about 2 turns and it seems to be somewhat better but still has that cut out and sputtering just before you start to get into the pipe good so any ideas of why this thing wants to run so rich even though i have droped from a 460 stock main down to a 390 that is quite a drop. my gas is 94 octane with klotz techniplate 32:1 mix. this thing should run like a scared bear with turpintine in its ass, but not quite there yet help me please thanks mark

SRAD97750

Staff member
i have a 2001 rm 125 with a bills pipe on it. it had stock jets 460 main and 27.5 pilot and i am all the way down to a 390 main and still getting some spooge dripping fron my silencer. i went out on the air screw about 2 turns and it seems to be somewhat better but still has that cut out and sputtering just before you start to get into the pipe good so any ideas of why this thing wants to run so rich even though i have droped from a 460 stock main down to a 390 that is quite a drop. my gas is 94 octane with klotz techniplate 32:1 mix. this thing should run like a scared bear with turpintine in its ass, but not quite there yet help me please thanks mark
I would be sure to have a new stock (or close) main jet installed.
Checked the reeds?
What position is the needle at?
Is the Needle JET worn out?
-BIG DAN:thumb:

I would be sure to have a new stock (or close) main jet installed.
Checked the reeds?
What position is the needle at?
Is the Needle JET worn out?
i have a brand new 460 main to put back in it. i have checked the reeds and they are perfect no spaces they are shutting very tight. the needle jet is good and it is set on the second clip groove from the top down. i got it alot better but just not quite as crisp as i would like it. thanks for your suggestions mark. i will keep looking and listening to people until i find it, i know its right there under my finger just havent hit the right combo yet thanks again mark

SRAD97750

Staff member
You have excellent answers so I'm going to keep firing questions.
Is it the stock needle?
Is the float set properly?
When was your last top end and what was the ring end gap at the time of install?

my guess would be that the needle is stock just because the jets hadnt even been touched but i dont know for a fact. i think i set the float at 5mm what ever the manual said but i have a hard time trying to measure and set these really precise alot of times i will hook a hose to the inlet and hold the carb straight and level and blow through the hose and lift the float until i cant blow through it when the float is parallel with the carb body and it has always worked for me but maybe i am way off base. just did a top end with new rings and gaskets and the ring end gap was well within specs. i will say this that i went back out last night and turned the air screw all the way back in and brought it out about a 1/4 turn at a time until the idle was much higher than it was and that straightened it out quite a bit. but now i still have the 390 main in it i wonder if i should do a plug chop test or immediatley switch the main back to the 460 range. thanks mark you guys have been great trying to help me figure this out a+ guys

Good stuff happening here.
Sounds like ya know what's up.
It's a 125 so what rpm range are you riding at? 125's are built to scream like a chubby white girl at a p-diddy concert so unless you are at 10k rpm all the time you'll get excessive spooge throughout the throttle range.

What's your elevation, temperature, riding style, what plug are you running?

i think you pretty well have the answer i have not had it anywhere to actually really get onto it and really kick it in the ass but now that i have the air adjusted it seems to really want to get up and go so i am going to load it up and take it to a track wwhere i can let it go and i think it will staighten out. but would you suggest that i put the 460 main back in before i run it hard and take a look at the plug before i start jetting it down at all, what do you think i have the 390 main in it right now

i think you pretty well have the answer i have not had it anywhere to actually really get onto it and really kick it in the ass but now that i have the air adjusted it seems to really want to get up and go so i am going to load it up and take it to a track wwhere i can let it go and i think it will staighten out. but would you suggest that i put the 460 main back in before i run it hard and take a look at the plug before i start jetting it down at all, what do you think i have the 390 main in it right now

I would go to stock settings and let it rip... Fresh gas, 4oz of oil per gallon and go!

i will let you know how it runs as soon as i get a chance to take it out and run it and i want to say thanks to all who got involved and tried to help me out it is great to have this kind of help. keep the dirt flyin

better check crank seals...same exact thing happened to me ..running rich spuutered at first half of powerband...my seals were leaking crank oil was getting into the bottom of my crank/cylinder...spooge all over swingarm and silencer....dont keep leaning it out. i seized my crank (lower bearings)