2001 KX250 problem. Help me please

i was riding my 2001 kx250 today after it just got done raining and it was running great and i went to go turn around and it went through the gears fine but when i went to go shift into 4th or 5th gear my bike bogged down and died out and when i went to go start it back up the sound of when i kicked it sounded different but it didnt start. So i pushed it up to my house and washed all the mud and crap off of it when i was done doing that i pushed it back into the garage and tried starting it again, it fired right up on the first kick but it only stayed running for like 10 seconds and it sounded like complete crap, you couldnt even tell it was a 2-stroke that how bad it sounded. Help me please

Last edited:
sucked some water, maybe some got in the wires or kill button, maybe the fuel flow to carb is an issue since it re-started and then died-maybe fuel cap vent is pluggeg?? Pull line off carb to be sure fuel is flowing out of tank. Ride it again and if it dies loosen the cap a little so air can get in and see if it then runs OK.

sucked some water, maybe some got in the wires or kill button, maybe the fuel flow to carb is an issue since it re-started and then died-maybe fuel cap vent is pluggeg?? Pull line off carb to be sure fuel is flowing out of tank. Ride it again and if it dies loosen the cap a little so air can get in and see if it then runs OK.

see the problem is, is that it sounds like complete crap. its getting fuel but i wonder if i need to rebuild the top end

Whatever you do, don't take the spark plug out and examine it. Don't check to see if it is all black and oily or dry and gray. And if you give in and do that, you had better not post a picture of it either. If you did all that it might make it easier to figure out what is going on, and we know that might be dangerous.

Last edited: