2 stroke vs 4 stroke

well that is kinda the meaning behind diesel electric. diesel engine is just a generator, I've always been curious as to maintenance schedule and engine life.

haha, since we are on meanings flake, "diesel engine is just a generator". come on. the EMD's that I was familiar with were not in trains, but were used as power plants that were stationary. well over 95,000 hours on lots of the power heads for those. I wasnt dealing with them long enough to see a crankshaft change out. they still ran, at 95k and were putting out power enough to make "power". they got changed a "head" at a time when the fuel consumption made it prudent.

Its a curious question, I know there are several F3 and GP7 locomotives that still operate and those things go back as far as the 40's, makes the 250k mile pick up look pathetic

Last edited:
all the marine and stationary applications make over the road look kind of low hour. think controlled temps, less exposure to abrasives and less rpm fluctuation and almost NO cold starts.

Almost no engine stress either. 2800rpm all the way. Except for marine motors. They take a beating unless they power generator drive units.

Marine engines are unique from truck engines. With a literal ocean of coolant you see engines likes a b series cummins 6's putting out 400 hp for lots of hours. And they stay "loaded", but they can be set up to spin past the torque peak. So that isn't the same as going back and forth through the torque peak.

Marine engines are unique from truck engines. With a literal ocean of coolant you see engines likes a b series cummins 6's putting out 400 hp for lots of hours. And they stay "loaded", but they can be set up to spin past the torque peak. So that isn't the same as going back and forth through the torque peak.

True.
I've found out through the years that a diesel needs to be ran everyday for it to be reliable. The more it runs, the longer it runs. Soccer moms and start and go truck owners being the worst of the bunch.

True.
I've found out through the years that a diesel needs to be ran everyday for it to be reliable. The more it runs, the longer it runs. Soccer moms and start and go truck owners being the worst of the bunch.
Too true, just dropped my sisters 2012 land rover discovery into the dealer for a pre warranty inspection, 45000 miles and the dpf is already full :-(