Other 1995 XR200R Fork Oil Capacity Question

Today I cleaned the inner components and changed out the fork oil and blown seals in the XR200, but am unsure of the amount of oil I put in.
M33 gave some links to some service manual downloads (thank you!) but none of them were specific to my bike; they were a bit off in the years, and engine sizes, so I used them as a reference only.

I also called the service dept. of a local dealer that I have bought some parts from recently and was told that they couldn't answer my question, but referred me to a belray lubricants.com website that they use in this kind of situation.
Not finding my answer on that site, I called Belray and spoke with a guy that told me the capacity for each fork for a ??? to 1995 was .492 liters, and that for 1995 to 2003 was .474 liters.

Needing to finish the job and get the garage closed up, I split the difference and put approx. .483 (16.4 oz) in each fork.

The measurement from top of the compressed fork given in the manuals M33 provided, which were for an XR250-400, and XR80-100 of different years, ranged from about 2 inches to 6 inches.

So after adding the approx. 16.4 oz to my forks, when they were compressed the fluid level was more like 1/2" from the top.

So before I go ride this thing and blow some new seals, if anyone can tell me what the correct capacity for this bike should be is, that would be awesome. Or direct me to that info if possible.

I have not added any air pressure to the forks.

Also any tips on usage of the small drain/bleed screw at the bottom of the forks would be cool as well. I assume I can use this to drain the forks if over-filled, since while pumping/emptying the forks today I shot a load of old oil onto the ceiling of my garage (was very impressed with myself there).

Thanks.

Today I cleaned the inner components and changed out the fork oil and blown seals in the XR200, but am unsure of the amount of oil I put in.
M33 gave some links to some service manual downloads (thank you!) but none of them were specific to my bike; they were a bit off in the years, and engine sizes, so I used them as a reference only.

I also called the service dept. of a local dealer that I have bought some parts from recently and was told that they couldn't answer my question, but referred me to a belray lubricants.com website that they use in this kind of situation.
Not finding my answer on that site, I called Belray and spoke with a guy that told me the capacity for each fork for a ??? to 1995 was .492 liters, and that for 1995 to 2003 was .474 liters.

Needing to finish the job and get the garage closed up, I split the difference and put approx. .483 (16.4 oz) in each fork.

The measurement from top of the compressed fork given in the manuals M33 provided, which were for an XR250-400, and XR80-100 of different years, ranged from about 2 inches to 6 inches.

So after adding the approx. 16.4 oz to my forks, when they were compressed the fluid level was more like 1/2" from the top.

So before I go ride this thing and blow some new seals, if anyone can tell me what the correct capacity for this bike should be is, that would be awesome. Or direct me to that info if possible.

I have not added any air pressure to the forks.

Also any tips on usage of the small drain/bleed screw at the bottom of the forks would be cool as well. I assume I can use this to drain the forks if over-filled, since while pumping/emptying the forks today I shot a load of old oil onto the ceiling of my garage (was very impressed with myself there).

Thanks.

I forgot what yr your bike was.
http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Honda/XR200R/1997

IMG_8485.PNG

SRAD97750

Staff member
What mikey is trying to show you is that the spec is 110mm from the top of the tube with the fork compressed and no spring installed. This is a pretty common spec, and you can play with it in 5mm adjustments to your liking. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Muches gracia's to M33, and Big Dan.
I had to take about 3-1/4 oz out of each fork to get to the 110mm range.
Afterward I thought I would like to have a factory manual instead of having to rely on others, so I got on eBay to look for one, but all I could find is a Clymer manual.
Are they any good?
I've used Chilton's in the past with success for auto's, but have never owned a Clymers before...

Muches gracia's to M33, and Big Dan.
I had to take about 3-1/4 oz out of each fork to get to the 110mm range.
Afterward I thought I would like to have a factory manual instead of having to rely on others, so I got on eBay to look for one, but all I could find is a Clymer manual.
Are they any good?
I've used Chilton's in the past with success for auto's, but have never owned a Clymers before...

Clymer manuals are pretty decent. I have a bunch of them but you need to keep an eye one them as they like to jump from model to model.

I may have to pick one up then. The XR200 is likely going to be the kiddo's next bike although he says he wants a CR125. But since he hasn't learned to move his butt around his XR100 yet and just layed it over again today in the sand, I am thinking the 200 will be with us for awhile.
Plus, I love it. It's a great all-around bike, and I would rather not get rid of it.

I may have to pick one up then. The XR200 is likely going to be the kiddo's next bike although he says he wants a CR125. But since he hasn't learned to move his butt around his XR100 yet and just layed it over again today in the sand, I am thinking the 200 will be with us for awhile.
Plus, I love it. It's a great all-around bike, and I would rather not get rid of it.

Just keep that XR200 decently maintained and it will take care of you for the next 30yrs. It's also more user friendly than the mid 80's XR200rs were. Those were serious off-roaders back in the day.

I'll probably have it for the next 30 years, if I live that long.
I am looking for a step-up though. Was thinking maybe an XR400 or possibly a 250 2-stroke.

But as soon as the boy figures out center-of-gravity and cornering, he'll be wanting the 200, which I promised him.
I am however considering a 2-stroke for him as well though.

He is tall for his age (11) and the XR100 suits him perfectly right now, but once he "gets it" he'll want to be doing some more racy kind of riding. He is already looking for jumps when we ride.
I was thinking maybe finding him an older 2-stroke CR, RM, KX, or YZ 80, before I just go out and get him a 125, which he thinks he wants.
I dont want to have him helicoptered out of the desert, but then again I dont want to have him be bored in the first month of riding an 80. He started with the Suzuki DS80, and while I think the engine output was good for him, the frame of the bike was too small.

Is an CR type 80 too small? A 125 too much?
What do you guys think?
Cost is always a factor too...

BTW - Thanks for the link BigDan! I appreciate that.

I am looking for a step-up though. Was thinking maybe an XR400 or possibly a 250 2-stroke.

But as soon as the boy figures out center-of-gravity and cornering, he'll be wanting the 200, which I promised him.
I am however considering a 2-stroke for him as well though.

He is tall for his age (11) and the XR100 suits him perfectly right now, but once he "gets it" he'll want to be doing some more racy kind of riding. He is already looking for jumps when we ride.
I was thinking maybe finding him an older 2-stroke CR, RM, KX, or YZ 80, before I just go out and get him a 125, which he thinks he wants.
I dont want to have him helicoptered out of the desert, but then again I dont want to have him be bored in the first month of riding an 80. He started with the Suzuki DS80, and while I think the engine output was good for him, the frame of the bike was too small.

Is an CR type 80 too small? A 125 too much?
What do you guys think?
Cost is always a factor too...

BTW - Thanks for the link BigDan! I appreciate that.

Right now the 100 is perfect. The 2t Racing 80's like the CR are a handful and until he learns throttle control he will lose his shit if he wicks that cr85 throttle and gets a snout full of power which will more than likely cure him of whiskey or it will send him dancing across the high plain screaming like a bouncing banshee until something stops him like a gully or tree.

Nope. She's going away tomorrow, to a good home.
Some older gentleman in the high plains of AZ that wants to trail ride.
Sad to see her go, but I need the garage space, and she needs to be ridden.
Was a great bike for us. Doesn't leak, fires right up, tires still hold air.
Bon voyage.