Other 1990 xr250r wrist pin

Ok guys so got my first bike but it needs a new piston and cylnder sleeve, so im to the point of removing the wrist pin from the piston to pull the piston, i have got the clips removed from each end of the pin but it wont budge, it almost seems that the piston arm is fused to the pin lol....any ideas on how to get it out? Does it have to be pressed?

Ok guys so got my first bike but it needs a new piston and cylnder sleeve, so im to the point of removing the wrist pin from the piston to pull the piston, i have got the clips removed from each end of the pin but it wont budge, it almost seems that the piston arm is fused to the pin lol....any ideas on how to get it out? Does it have to be pressed?

You need to remove the wrist pin circlips as seen below. Part#11
Then use something interesting to push it out. I use needle nose pliers.

Edit: just saw that you have the clips removed. You may have get a new rod as this one is probably cooked. I threaded rod press will work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=Q-Kh4A48zEQ

image.png

Last edited:
Thanks ill try that asap, im on call this week at work so no clue when ill be able to do that. I already plan to buy a new pin as well. Hope that works i have already spent a hour on it with a bolt that fits the edge of the pin and a hammer lol.

Thanks ill try that asap, im on call this week at work so no clue when ill be able to do that. I already plan to buy a new pin as well. Hope that works i have already spent a hour on it with a bolt that fits the edge of the pin and a hammer lol.

Is the crank out of the bike? If not then you need a rod probably too

no its still in ill post a pic in a sec of what im looking at. ok maybe a bit longer than a second phone has to charge to take a pic.....lol

Last edited:
be really careful using a hammer. lookup piston pin puller and you will probably have an epiphany on how to build your own puller with a piece of allthread a couple of nuts and piece of pipe, pvc, spark plug socket, larger piston pin etc. have a good back up if you are using a punch and hammer arrangement.

something you might want to consider instead of a cylinder is a big bore kit. that one will go all the way out to about 280cc's and it is just a bore job to get it there. you will probably like that rig a little better as a 280 if you are like me.

something you might want to consider instead of a cylinder is a big bore kit. that one will go all the way out to about 280cc's and it is just a bore job to get it there. you will probably like that rig a little better as a 280 if you are like me.

Pretty hard to beat that xr250 even in stock form but then again I hear the xr350/400 was the best.