1989 CR 250, what upgrades should I make?

Hi all

I have a 1989 cr 250 , that a seasoned dirtbike veteran is putting back together for me,,,,,,I had it in my garage in parts for years, I did something to it and it never started again,, gave it to him and he said it just needs to be honed? and some other replacements, he said for sure he can get it going

The question is, what awesome upgrades can I make to this bike while he has it for performance?,,,,plugs, exhaust, filters,,,,what can I do?

Also, being a 2 stroke would it make a fun street bike to play with? If you can give me some advice with that as well

Thanks for your help!

Daydreamer

I did something to it and it never started again,, gave it to him and he said it just needs to be honed? and some other replacements, he said for sure he can get it going
What would cause the cylinder to be rehoned?
Other replacements? What does that mean?
What did you do to it that made it not run?
The question is, what awesome upgrades can I make to this bike while he has it for performance?,,,,plugs, exhaust, filters,,,,what can I do?
The bike is old, so chances of upgrading it are growing smaller by the day. Exhaust would be a good start, if you can find parts.
Also, being a 2 stroke would it make a fun street bike to play with? If you can give me some advice with that as well
2 strokes require pre-mix, or an oil injection system.

I have a good buddy that just bought a Yamaha RZ350. 2-stroke twin, street bike.
It's oil injected, and has an oil reservoir, so suitable for street use.
As far as I know, a cr250 does not have an oil injector (or reservoir), and requires pre-mix.
Do you want to carry 2-stroke oil with you to add into the tank every time you pull into a gas station?

Last edited:
I think I ran the bike too hot, and it never started again,,,,,,he has the bike and I trust him,,,he said he can get it going,,he has been working on bikes for 20yrs,,,,,,repleacements like chain, tires may need to be replaced

as far as street,,,if i choose,,, I would just be doing some light round the city riding,,,or even nieghtbohood,,, nothing too intense

I think I ran the bike too hot, and it never started again,,,,,,he has the bike and I trust him,,,he said he can get it going,,he has been working on bikes for 20yrs,,,,,,repleacements like chain, tires may need to be replaced

as far as street,,,if i choose,,, I would just be doing some light round the city riding,,,or even nieghtbohood,,, nothing too intense

something that I can sink some money into, play around with and then even sell it,,,depending on the mods we use,these bikes seem to be going for $1200 - $2500

Not sure where you live, but making a CR250 street legal is a lot more work.
Easy peasy in AZ.
Anything over 49 cc's can be made street legal in AZ.
This is why you'll see quads, golf carts, and every type of sandrail ever made running down the roads.
I think it's pretty cool actually.

Hi all

I have a 1989 cr 250 , that a seasoned dirtbike veteran is putting back together for me,,,,,,I had it in my garage in parts for years, I did something to it and it never started again,, gave it to him and he said it just needs to be honed? and some other replacements, he said for sure he can get it going

Thanks for your help!

Daydreamer
Got any pics? You may need a lighting stator loom tyres and lights to make it street legal!
best upgrade for this model would be to throw away the forks and add 87-88 front end! Or if you want to stay with USD go to 93-94 CR250R forks!
Also v-force or similar reed block, nice pipe and good rads!

He has the bike now and is doing the work, he wants to get the engine running stable and then take it from there, I know I rode it hot, bike stalled and the bike never started again, but after he looked at it he was really confident that he could fix it,,,maybe initially keep it trail ready, but I am in central FL and dont really have trails near my house, I dont think LOL,,,,so depending I may leave it be, or put the street mods on, juts for playing around town,,,,,I can post pics when I get it back, just not sure what to do yet

Easy peasy in AZ.
Anything over 49 cc's can be made street legal in AZ.
This is why you'll see quads, golf carts, and every type of sandrail ever made running down the roads.
I think it's pretty cool actually.
Yeah I see them all over town. One reason I was thinking of bringing #5 out there and plating it.

Sounds , expensive , time consuming , not really feasable for street , fix it , sell it .. then buy a street bike ...
This is good, practical advice. I do not believe practicality and motorcycles belong together. thedaydreamer should get that bike running, ride it in any way that pleases him, and then figure out what his next bike should be. IMHO, of course.:prof: